Check/Backspin

FatboyShrek

Visit site
Hello everyone.

New to the forum. Lurked for a while. I am currently playing off about 12 and as i imagine with many mid ranking golfers i lose a lot of shots around the greens. I have a lovely Taylor Made 56° wedge and occasionally i get some serious check off it.

Other times when i'm attempting it i get nowhere, sometimes i do. Any advice on consistently getting it.

Many thanks. Tim

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
around the green doesnt always require a 56 matey, sometimes a 9 or 8 iron will do the job better and wont check so gives a consistent roll out.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Try not to be one dimensional and use only one or two clubs around the greens. You'll get far more control with a simple running chip just onto the putting surface and running out to the hole than trying the aerial route and spinning it. Find a putting green you can chip on and try different clubs from a wedge down to 6 iron and even a hybrid and see how the ball reacts

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.

Provided that you're hitting the ball correctly, the only thing you can do to try to make the amount of spin/check consistent is to make sure the grooves are free from muck before you play the shot.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Welcome. The simple answer is that golf is about consistancy and you are unlikely to get that trying to spin chips.

First get a consistant strike. Then chose a landing point on the green. A lower landing point would be best as if you land it short the ball will kick on as it is landing on a downslope and if it lands long it checks as it lands on an upslope.
Once you have selected landing point (ideally on the green with a bit of leeway for a mishit) choose the club that will give you the required roll to the hole.
Also, practice chipping with your putting grip and stroke. I find it excellent for really delicate chips.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I like the 'using one club' method as you know how the ball will react, and you can increase/lower the loft to suit. Obviously there will be times a 7 iron is best suited but on the whole using 1 club that you KNOW how the ball reacts is a sensible method.

As regards backspin, a properly struck chip with a descending blow will always get backspin, its down to the conditions, your equipment and quality of swing as to the amount etc
practice practice practice

Jimbooo

Challenge Tour Pro
www.gosimply.com
Personally, I prefer using 1 club and keeping it in the air as much as possible (I use my 58 around the greens). I find this much easier to judge carry distance and check/release than roll distance with, say, a 7-iron (unless its real close), and I seem to always get it closer to the flag this way.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Keep the ball on the green/apron,unless you have no option but to hit the ball high.Far easier to judge and control distance when the balls rolling,rather than flying through the air.
Watch the pro's,unless they have to carry the ball over a bunker,mound,or rough,they will almost always bump and run.