Cheap Rangefinder / Laser

BennyBoy85

Visit site
I've been looking for a cheap rangefinder and keep coming across the random branded ones via ebay/Amazon for £60-£80.
Does anybody have any experience of owning one of these?
A Bushnell is out of my price range at the moment so was hoping that somebody would be able to recommend a cheaper version that will still be reasonably reliable.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I got a Boblov and I am quite happy with it. Apparently a Bushnell or Nikon acquire the distance a second faster but that doesn't really matte, and the range is usually within a yard of what playing partners are saying. It's rechargeable as well.
The one grief I have is focussing. When I turn the ring to see the flag sharp then the displayed number gets blurry, or the other way around. I put it to somewhere in the middle. But that's my eyesight.

BennyBoy85

Visit site
I got a Boblov and I am quite happy with it. Apparently a Bushnell or Nikon acquire the distance a second faster but that doesn't really matte, and the range is usually within a yard of what playing partners are saying. It's rechargeable as well.
The one grief I have is focussing. When I turn the ring to see the flag sharp then the displayed number gets blurry, or the other way around. I put it to somewhere in the middle. But that's my eyesight.

Thanks for the reply. I've seen a few youtube reviews of various brands all within the budget price range and all seem to come out pretty well in the testing which is a good sign.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Bought one of Amazon called Toner for £60 and has worked perfectly for a couple of years. Usually gives same distance as playing partners with more expensive ones so have no complaints with it at all.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

BennyBoy85

Visit site
Bought a mileseey PF210 yesterday on Amazon for £99.99. It was a special 1 day only offer and it's now back up to £119.99.

First impressions from a bit of use at home and at the driving range are very positive. Finds targets quickly and easily, also has a slope on and off function.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MiLESEEY-R...0899J1RJ7/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MiLESEEY-P...words=mileseey&qid=1596716003&s=sports&sr=1-1

£82.99 for this one - is this a lower spec than the one you ordered?

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got the bovlov one too. Its great for the price and does the job for me just as well as anymore expensive one would.

Yardages seem to be actuate and it has the slope function too, but which has come in handy during bounce games, good to know if you need to add or subtract yardage.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Out of curiosity, how do people find the slope function? Does it give a yardage that works from a club selection perspective?

I can imagine this being quite a helpful function for practice rounds, or playing a new course in a non-competition round

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I got a Ben Sayers one from an Ebay seller nearly a year ago. It was about £70 I think with some kind of discount. It has worked fine, occasionally just lately it's gone a bit funny though, like it gets stuck for a minute. I normally just pop the battery out and back in to 'turn it off and on again' and that sorts it. Sometimes I realise it's picked up a tree in the background instead of the flag, but you should notice if the yardage is clearly 30 yards too much and just do it again. Usually you just hold the button down, try and keep it focused on the pin, and then it buzzes and gives the yardage.

This is it: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ben-Saye...586586&hash=item4b7dd949d1:g:PfgAAOSwX~lfEzzH Not as cheap now though, as I say, I got mine on a discount deal.

I've heard good reviews for the Suaoki ones which are cheap also and can be bought from Amazon I believe. Generally I think a cheap rangefinder will work fine, an expensive one will just work quicker and maybe at longer distances and have a couple of bells and whistles on.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got one of the budget models a few years ago, can't recall the make at the moment though, it worked fine for a couple of years and was just as accurate as a Bushnell used by one of my regular fourball at that time. The display has now started to fail, parts of the digits don't always show up, which means it is next to useless!

I recently changed to a Garmin S40 watch and find that much easier and quicker to use, plus with the data logging, GPS tracking etc I now much prefer that and can't see myself ever going back to a laser.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I got one of the budget models a few years ago, can't recall the make at the moment though, it worked fine for a couple of years and was just as accurate as a Bushnell used by one of my regular fourball at that time. The display has now started to fail, parts of the digits don't always show up, which means it is next to useless!

I recently changed to a Garmin S40 watch and find that much easier and quicker to use, plus with the data logging, GPS tracking etc I now much prefer that and can't see myself ever going back to a laser.
I was always a 'one or the other' guy with GPS or rangefinder until I actually got both. I tend to use rangefinder to the pin when I can't quite see if it's front, back or middle, but I use GPS off the tee to see distances to hazards and so on in case I need to hit something less than driver. Or I'll use the GPS to get back of the green yardage instead of the pin, if I need to make sure I carry a front-of-green hazard. But then my GPS is just a free phone one so it wasn't any extra expense.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've got a Ben Sayers one in my holiday bag and find it very hard to pick up on the target. My normal use one is a Nikon and that has been excellent.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I got a Ben Sayers one from an Ebay seller nearly a year ago. It was about £70 I think with some kind of discount. It has worked fine, occasionally just lately it's gone a bit funny though, like it gets stuck for a minute. I normally just pop the battery out and back in to 'turn it off and on again' and that sorts it. Sometimes I realise it's picked up a tree in the background instead of the flag, but you should notice if the yardage is clearly 30 yards too much and just do it again. Usually you just hold the button down, try and keep it focused on the pin, and then it buzzes and gives the yardage.

This is it: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ben-Saye...586586&hash=item4b7dd949d1:g:PfgAAOSwX~lfEzzH Not as cheap now though, as I say, I got mine on a discount deal.

I've heard good reviews for the Suaoki ones which are cheap also and can be bought from Amazon I believe. Generally I think a cheap rangefinder will work fine, an expensive one will just work quicker and maybe at longer distances and have a couple of bells and whistles on.
Scratch that. This piece of crap has stopped working and I've had it 11 months only. Don't buy a Ben Sayers one!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I bought the Bushnell medalist back in 2008, I am still using it. I lost the battery cover and used tape to hold the battery in. Then it started to be intermittent. Basically the battery disconnection for charging was pulling on the cabling. I took it apart increased the the cable thickness and resoldered the connections. It works fine now, just speed of the acquiring the distance is slow and it looks tired. I have looked at replacing it, pro showed me the Tasco T2G, and that was okay, bit light. But the bushnell v5 felt nicely weighted .... but is silly money, and slope which I don’t want.