Cheap Laser Range Finders

kmdmr1

Head Pro
Visit site
Guys, I've been thinking of getting a laser range finder but I mainly want to use it at the range for getting distance to fixed targets etc. I don't need it for the course as I prefer a GPS.

Are the cheap ones off ebay any good.

Something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60-OFF-SN...hash=item4d1f0bb010:m:meILHgazasLp8HH7rhb_Npg

I'm thinking for £70 it's worth a punt.

Before xmas these were advertised at £99,
Like yourself I prefer a GPS, but will use my range finder from 150yrds,
I opted for the Nikon Coolshot £136

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Before xmas these were advertised at £99,
Like yourself I prefer a GPS, but will use my range finder from 150yrds,
I opted for the Nikon Coolshot £136

Yeah I was looking at those as well as it seems to be the cheapest of the 'known' brands. I am tempted by the Nikon as I could potentially see me using it on the course from close range.

I mainly want something for the range to work on my wedge distances.

stevench

Club Champion
Visit site
I nearly bit when I saw the nikons for £136 but I think for the price this must be pretty unbeatable.
Might have to go for this...

Last edited:

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
Glad I came across this, been looking for a cheapish one for a while. Ruffdrivers suggestion looks like a go'er. Gonna check online now for a review or 2

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a snooper, very good value, basic but functional, should be ideal for the range.

I have upgraded to a bushnell now, but have the snooper as a back up.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I have the Nikon - had an original one for about 5 years. Always thought it was good kit but recently started to play up - woudl power off as iff battery run out, even with a new battery in it. Lucky to be unexpectedly given a new Coolshot 120 for Crimbo. I know they are about £136 but what a great little bit of kit. The viewfinder is much improved over my older version, easily zapping flags over 450 yards (was checking to see if I could drive the green :) ), with a crystal clear view, in a shell 30% smaller than my old one. Thoroughly recommend this bit of kit for the extra money.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have one of these too and for that money there a snip. Got mine from hotgolf off ebay the same as the link posted. Great value at that price IMO

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys. Decided to have a punt on the snooper in the original link.

Was very tempted by the Nikon, but it's almost double the price.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I got a cheapie one from one of the lake ball vendors, it's been great. My mate got one of the cheaper nikons, the display is slightly brighter, but the pinseeker button on my cheapie is much easier to use than the nikon. Both of us prefer then over phone based GPS maps.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Snooper Shotsaver SL500 arrived today. Cost £69 + £5pp.

Got to say I'm pleasantly surprised. Lightweight and compact. Feels a solidly made bit of kit, doesn't feel 'cheap' at all.

Had a quick play in the garden and lasered a few targets, bird feeder, trees etc and it's a doddle to use.

Which begs the question, what are you actually paying for with the lasers that are 4-5 times the cost ?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive had mine around 1.5 years now, only on 2nd battery too. Ive compared it to a load of others when guys in the fourball have had them, absolutely no difference in yardages.
In very bright sunlight (HA!) it does occasionally take a while to lock but not a deal breaker as I can measure to a bunker or tree and use that info instead.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Snooper Shotsaver SL500 arrived today. Cost £69 + £5pp.

Got to say I'm pleasantly surprised. Lightweight and compact. Feels a solidly made bit of kit, doesn't feel 'cheap' at all.

Had a quick play in the garden and lasered a few targets, bird feeder, trees etc and it's a doddle to use.

Which begs the question, what are you actually paying for with the lasers that are 4-5 times the cost ?

I nabbed a black Friday bargain and bought a Bushnell V3 to supercede my Snooper, imo not a massive difference but the Bushnell does lock onto a yardage better, that's about it.

Sponge1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Guys, I've been thinking of getting a laser range finder but I mainly want to use it at the range for getting distance to fixed targets etc. I don't need it for the course as I prefer a GPS.

Are the cheap ones off ebay any good.

Something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60-OFF-SN...hash=item4d1f0bb010:m:meILHgazasLp8HH7rhb_Npg

I'm thinking for £70 it's worth a punt.[/QUOTE

I've just got one of these too, arrived yesterday. Not had a proper test of it yet but initial impressions are good. I used to have a Nikon Coolshot but I didn't really get on with. I didn't like the 8 second scan feature or the eyepiece. This one seems better to look through in my opinion.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been using mine on the course a bit as well as the range. Mainly to laser flags on temp greens. It's been pretty good so far apart from Sunday when it kept telling me everything was 14y away.

Even after taking battery our and wiping the lenses. Checked it when i got back to the car and seems fine now. Bit odd but I'll see how it goes this weekend.

Grieve14

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been using mine on the course a bit as well as the range. Mainly to laser flags on temp greens. It's been pretty good so far apart from Sunday when it kept telling me everything was 14y away.

Even after taking battery our and wiping the lenses. Checked it when i got back to the car and seems fine now. Bit odd but I'll see how it goes this weekend.

I guess thats the answer to your prior question: "Which begs the question, what are you actually paying for with the lasers that are 4-5 times the cost?"