Laser Range Finders

FourRight

Medal Winner
Visit site
After using one to great effect in the US I am looking to purchase a Laser Range Finder. So far it is a toss up between the following:

Nikon:
http://www.europe-nikon.com/product/en_GB/products/broad/1691/overview.html

Bushnell:
http://www.direct-golf.co.uk/golf_access...ge_finder/p7956

Just wondering if anyone out there has one or has used these devices.

Before you ask, I know I can get a GPS to do preat much the same thing, but after alot of thought for me there are a number of advantages of a Rangefinder over a GPS:

1. I am not a member of a course and regularly play different course so don't want the expense of having to buy a course each time I play a different one that you have got with some GPS's

2. Quick measurements to hazards that I have in the past thought did not present a risk, then subsequently put my next shot into.

Any advise would be appreciated. :)

Paul2009

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I cant believe people (apart from caddies) spend over £200 on a range finder. Can you not judge the range yourself? :D

Big_D

Hacker
Visit site
Possibly it would be worth looking at the Golf Buddy GPS. I have heard good things about these and they come pre-loaded with about 20,000 courses.

As far as i am aware there is no maintenance or service charge. Might be worth a look.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having had a Sky Caddie, I now have a Bushnell V2 - best thing since Sky+ was invented if you ask me.....

I actually know how far I hit each club now and has improved my scoring quite well so far.....

Make sure you get one that does distance only (not slope) otherwise you can't use them in competitions....

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I guess Laser Rangefinders are ok as long as you can get a fix on the object you're measuring to. If its blowing a gale and the falg's moving about, it may be hard to get a fix on it. Also you only have line of sight. If you know the bunker is there but you can't see it, you can't measure to it. GPS will. Also if you can't see the pin you can't measure to it.

Paul2009

Assistant Pro
Visit site
IMO all range finders/gps or whatevers are a waste of money. Why not get 20 lessons with the money. Youll be a hell of a better golfer with 20 lessons rather than a wee electronic distance measurer...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Paul my SC5 only cost 269 and I doubt any pro would charge me £13.45 per lesson (20 x 13.45 = 269). To be fair it has been an asset not only in distance management on the course, but in learning my true and accurate yardages with every club which enables me to still be confident in club selection even when I don't have it. £269 for piece of mind - confidence over the ball now - priceless

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I can now comment from both capms. Having just sold my SC2.5 I now have to judge distances again. And a lot of the time I get it wrong and end up short. I then have to rely on my, admittedly quite sharp, short game in order to post a score.
When finances permit I will definately be re-investing in one.

Paul2009

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I get a half hour lesson for £8 actually. Just never would i pay around £250 for an unnessesary piece of kit

ps. Do your courses not have distance markers ??

FourRight

Medal Winner
Visit site
Paul

I have to ask, have you actually used any form of measuring device on the course? You seem very dismissive of them, and to be honest a little bit rude in respect to what people choose to spend their hard earned money on.

Just the 2 times I have been out on a course having a measuring device now I have seen the imidiate advantages.

Yes there are yardage markers on most courses, but only in most cases at 100, 150 and 200. Having to walk backwards or forwards to get a measurement yourself, is surely going to add to the round time.

Paul2009

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry I seem that way Fouright - im not disrespecting or condoning anyone who has them - Im sure they help distance measurement and club choice but its just i think they are a rip off. Also standing there measuring the distance with a rangefinder would take more time than glancing at a yardage marker (or a scorecard that often have distances on it)

My pro showed me one out on the course and they semed pretty handy but not worth the money.

PS. Sorry about hogging your thread - back to the thread question!!!