Charnwood Forest - Sunday 23rd April

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
This was started on the "Midlands Forum Link?" thread but now giving it a thread of its own as suggested by @Voyager EMH in order to try and ensure that it's seen by everyone.

Sunday 23rd April (no longer the 16th!) at Charnwood Forest GC, which according to their website comes in at £40 including coffee and bacon roll on arrival and a one course meal after.

Obviously I haven't discussed this with Charnwood Forest yet and until we have the required minimum of 9 interested parties I won't be doing so.
Hopefully tee times will be available late morning or early afternoon.

If interested please put your name down below:
  1. - Crow
  2. - Voyager EMH
  3. - Bdill93
  4. - full_throttle
  5. - GG26

6. -
  7. -
  8. -
  9. -
  10. -
  11. -
  12. -

Last edited:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Edited: I had just added my name, but out of curiosity looked on golfempire to see if there were any opens on that day and there is a junior open that day at Charnwood.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Edited: I had just added my name, but out of curiosity looked on golfempire to see if there were any opens on that day and there is a junior open that day at Charnwood.

Thanks for the tip off!

I've just looked in their diary (which I should have done first!) and the 23rd April looks free so I'm changing the date to that, I'll restart the list so if you'd already got your name down and still wish to play, please confirm. @Voyager EMH @Bdill93 @full_throttle @GG26

NEW DATE - 23rd April

1. - Crow
  2. - Voyager EMH (tbc)
  3. - Bdill93 (tbc)
  4. - full_throttle (tbc)
  5. - GG26 (tbc)

6. -
  7. -
  8. -
  9. -
  10. -
  11. -
  12. -

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I hereby dub Charnwood Forest a "Premium Course". Take a look at the drone footage on their website.

Shoot 12-over par and your score differential is 10.0

I'm very happy with 6-over par as that beats my index of 4.5 and if it were a qualifying score would reduce me to 4.2.

Very interesting course. Absolute bargain at this price.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Well we seem to be disappointingly stuck at five, so much for all the outcry for forum meet-ups. ;)

This isn't a classic club meet, you can play whatever clubs you wish.

As a teaser, here's some information about Charnwood Forest GC.

It's probably as near as you'll get to a heathland course in Leicestershire, so forget all the stories of a county of clay-based courses that you're heard.
James Braid is credited with much of the design.

It's a 9 hole course but with 18 tees so there's some variation between front and back nines.
The course is just over 6,100 yards but isn't an easy course to score well on. Par 69, CR 70.3, slope 121

There are no bunkers but there are outcrops of some of the oldest stones in the country, approximately 620 million years (that's older than most of the members of the forum).
There are some great views to be had and the view of the final green from the clubhouse is excellent.

It's also the oldest course in Leicestershire, being formed in 1890.
The first permanent professional was Charles Lawrence (Sandy Herd was temporary professional before that), below are a couple of hickory woods by Charles Lawrence (not mine), picture taken on the second hole at Charnwood Forest GC.

https://www.charnwoodforestgolfclub.com/course_overview

1678735333294.png