Castle Stuart Trip - info re extra games & accommodation

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Evening gents,

I just wanted to provide a little more info regarding the extra games available around the main event at Castle Stuart on Saturday 24th April and some tips for those planning staying over for a night or more. Anyone interested or need more info then feel free to e-mail me at;-
johnfindlay@mac.com

On Friday 23rd April there are a gang of us playing at Spey Valley in Aviemore. It's my personal favourite inland course and has hosted EuroPro Tour events. Beautiful course. As there are already more than 20 playing the deal will be £55 for the round, coffee/bacon rolls on arrival, buggies (pretty essential), and a two course meal afterwards. Tee times will be after midday. I've yet to confirm these. Nairn is only 40 minutes away in the car afterwards.

http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/aviemore/golf/index.htm

On Sunday 25th April we have provisionally booked 12 tee times at Nairn Golf Club. We have negotiated a special rate for forumers of £40 for the round thanks to our man on the ground. Tee times likely to be from 10.30am or 11am. So time enough for many to play and travel home afterwards if they wish. Needn't say much about the pedigree of Nairn. Hosted the Walker Cup in 1999. Will host the Curtis Cup in 2012. Say no more. Gorgeous and their hospitality is legendary.

http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

For those planning staying in the area there are lots of options. The plan is to have a forumers night out in Nairn for beers on the Saturday after Castle Stuart (Friday too of course for those around) so staying there is the best plan.

Cheapest option for the one night might be a B & B. Here are links to two good ones;-

http://www.bracadalehouse.com/contactform.htm
http://www.greenlawns.uk.com/index.htm

For those spending more than one night then the caravan site next to Nairn Dunbar GC has been my preferred option in the past and will be again this year. Surprisingly comfortable. They do a 3 night deal for an entire caravan from 4pm Friday to 10am Monday at anything from £130-£180 depending on size. Check out this website and search under "Nairn Lochloy"

http://www.parkdeanholidays.co.uk/index.htm

So if anyone forumers want to share the cost by getting together then it's a great cheap option. Booking in January next near would pretty much guarantee you a place as there are around 300 vans. One tip. It's a family based resort. They don't like large "same sex" parties as they think it means stag or hen do's. Just say you're over a certain age and up for the golf and it's no problem.

For those who prefer their creature comforts then here are links to 3 more expensive hotels in town too;-

http://www.claymorehousehotel.com/default.php
http://www.crerarhotels.com/ourhotels/golf_view_hotel/
http://www.oxfordhotelsandinns.com/OurHotels/Newton

Numbers for both Spey Valley and Nairn GC are swelling already so let me know if you're likely to play either so that we can book extra tee times if necessary.

Cheers

John

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can put me down for those John.

As ever your groundwork is superb.

I have been skiing in Aviemore. Where are the courses in relation to it?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
The clue's in the name with Spey Valley, Dave.

Go onto google maps. Search for "Dalfaber Drive, Aviemore" and there are some great satellite shots of the course set around the "S- bend" in the River Spey just to the north east. There's always a chance to catch a salmon whilst retrieving your ball from the river!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Closer than I thought.

Is anyone up for sharing a caravan (more dosh for ale)?

I could be Vig.
Haven't really thought too much about accommodation, but Hywel, myself and Viscount 17 are thinking about travelling up together so the 'vans are not out of the question.
As I mentioned on another thread I am planning to play the two courses that John has picked out, plus another on Monday, which is likely to be Nairn Dunbar. I will be flying home again on Tuesday.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Well it looks like my accommodation is sorted....

Looks like I'm sharing a caravan with Vig, Viscount 17 and HTL for the duration.
The only thing I ask is that the other lads take it in turn to wear the sheep outfit 'cos four nights on the trot with Hywel is going to wear me out.
Ask Homer how it feels
;)

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well it looks like my accommodation is sorted....

Looks like I'm sharing a caravan with Vig, Viscount 17 and HTL for the duration.
The only thing I ask is that the other lads take it in turn to wear the sheep outfit 'cos four nights on the trot with Hywel is going to wear me out.
Ask Homer how it feels
;)

Quality, it will be some trip guys, are your bodies up for it ,there will be no shandy drinking up there ,thats where men are men and women are glad of it :D :D :D

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
There will be no shandy drinking up there ,thats where men are men and women are glad of it :D :D :D

Shandy? SHANDY????????

It's Lager top for me mate, and 3 or 4 of 'em at that.
I'm no bloody lightweight and I take offence at the merest suggestion.

As there are four of us I expect we ought to buy a pkt of three for the trip.
Poor old Vig

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just looked at flight times, and I'll be up to late on Friday for a game, but nice and early for the evening session.

It's a 5 o'clock flight on Sunday, I don't gain anything by flying on Monday as the flight is earlier, so should be ok for a game at Nairn Golf Club if we're off at 10:30.

Pencil me in for the game on Sunday please John.

Looking forward to meeting you guys and having a game already.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just looked at flight times, and I'll be up to late on Friday for a game, but nice and early for the evening session.

It's a 5 o'clock flight on Sunday, I don't gain anything by flying on Monday as the flight is earlier, so should be ok for a game at Nairn Golf Club if we're off at 10:30.

Looking similar for me too, flight in friday at some time then heading away sunday evening, time for sat and sunday rounds :)
Missus isnt over the moon that its two nights away and asked why didnt I drive! haha.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I might be up for a bit of this bit have to see nearer the time, I wont find out my shift pattern untill december so cant book anything, even then it can be whipped away.

Huess i'll just have to take a chance on spaces being available closer to the dates!

B

birdieman

Looking similar for me too, flight in friday at some time then heading away sunday evening, time for sat and sunday rounds :)
Missus isnt over the moon that its two nights away and asked why didnt I drive! haha.

Brendy, send the Mrs to the nearby Brodie Country Fair near Nairn or along to Made in Scotland at Beauly. There is quite a lot of nice retail oulets for the ladies in the area. If you've got kids they could go dolphin watching at Fortrose or boat trip Nesssie-huunting on Loch Ness or see Culloden battlefied centre or Highland Wildlife Park at Kincraig - tons of stuff for non-golfing wives and kids to do.
There's always a way! How about her caddying ;)

I'm paid up for Castle Stuart, any other days I'll have to play by ear, I have family living between Aviemore and Nairn so have options. Will decide on Spey Valley nearer time if there are any slots left. Nairn is ace, Nairn Dunbar I'm not so fussed for, seems to smell of sewage I recall. :(

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site

Brendy, send the Mrs to the nearby Brodie Country Fair near Nairn or along to Made in Scotland at Beauly. There is quite a lot of nice retail oulets for the ladies in the area. If you've got kids they could go dolphin watching at Fortrose or boat trip Nesssie-huunting on Loch Ness or see Culloden battlefied centre or Highland Wildlife Park at Kincraig - tons of stuff for non-golfing wives and kids to do.
There's always a way! How about her caddying ;)

I'm paid up for Castle Stuart, any other days I'll have to play by ear, I have family living between Aviemore and Nairn so have options. Will decide on Spey Valley nearer time if there are any slots left. Nairn is ace, Nairn Dunbar I'm not so fussed for, seems to smell of sewage I recall. :(
I dont think they are going! I did offer but I dont think she is that interested. :D