Celtic Manor vs. Carnoustie?

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
organsing a stag trip and wondered which option to go for - have booked tees for Carnoustie for mid March but having seen the offers available for Celtic Manor am considering cancelling in favour of a Welsh weekend.

Option 1 = Carnoustie, Buddon Links & Championship course.
approx £180pp including flights/accomodation

Option 2 = Celtic Manor, 2010 & Montgomerie courses.
approx £209pp.

never played either but am swaying towards Option 2 to save the hassle of flights/hire cars etc!
any thoughts?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Having played the courses you mention, if it were me????

Carnoustie, without question.
I'd personally dump the "Buddon" course though and replace it with the "Burnside" which is a cracking little track.

Rob

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Carnoustie without doubt espec as March time Celtic bound to be at least a bit on the damp side.Go to Dundee for drink tho as nothing in Carnoustie and dundee wont be much in a taxi.

DCB

Visit site
Just remember, carnoustie is one of the few places that does sometimes ask for a handicap cert for the Championship course.

For me Carnoustie over anything else!

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Def Carnoustie and as Craw says be a shame not to play Monifieth when your in the area, it's a cracking course.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always thought Celtic Manor was a flippin' car park of a course.
Having browsed the site and looked at the 2010 course, I might need to reconsider my opinion.

I love the old courses and classic venues (Carnoustie, Lytham, Hoylake, Walton Heath, Wentworth, Woodhall, etc.etc.) I find almost nothing to admire in new courses, discounting the look of 2010!!! Places like Warwickshire, Oxforshire, Collingtree, St. Pierre, Celtic, Belfry, F of A, all leave me a bit....well....uninspired.

Am I on the brink of being converted!!! :)

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would definately go for Carsnootie, but try the Burnside and Championship courses.
I think you have a fantastic deal. Every September a group of us play the Burnside and Championship courses. The best deal we can get is Bacon Roll, Round on Burnside, Lunch, Round on Championship and tea at a cost of £140.
I don't know where you are travelling from, or where you are staying, but for what equates to £40 for flights and accommodation it appears a fantastic deal!

Robo

Club Champion
Visit site
Few years back played Carnoustie,Panmure & Monifieth.
All 3 are great places to tee it up.
Go with Carnoustie. Its class!
Oh and have a look from the big boys
tee's you can see why they make a mess of it.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Oh and have a look from the big boys
tee's you can see why they make a mess of it.

If you pick the "wrong week" you could find you are teeing off the big boys tees anyway!
Don't know if they have changed it now, but when we used to go there on a yearly visit, they used to change which tees they were using on a rotational basis. One year we had to play off the greens (which I think were the championship tees) and on some of the holes the carries were almost impossible. The 12th in particular (if I remember correctly)..I collared a drive and only just cleared the gorse bushes by inches!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Has to be Carnoustie for the sheer golfing challenge. There is more variety of shot needed, the views are better and it will probably be drier and more playable than Celtic Manor. I don't know the other courses but I'm sure you can find a decent schedule and not find it too cost prohibitive.

DCB

Visit site
Smiffy,

You should have had porridge for your breakfast, the Green course is the short one !

The back tees are a taxi ride further back !

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Smiffy,

You should have had porridge for your breakfast, the Green course is the short one !

The back tees are a taxi ride further back !

I did say "think"....

All I know is that we did once play off the championship tees, can't remember what colour they were (although I was right in guessing that they do have green ones too!)...

But my idea of golfing heaven would be a morning spent on the Burnside followed by lunch (a pie from the bakers in town!) and then 18 holes on the Championship.
One year we played the Burnside in the morning in short sleeve shirts, went out in the afternoon on the big 'un and one of our guys was suffering from exposure by the end of the round. Talk about a change in the weather, and that can only happen in Scotland!

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
Carnoustie deal:
flight = £62
b&b = £40 a night (based on 2 sharing a room)
golf = £70 (championship and buddons)

we had a vote and Celtic Manor has won.. simply because of the ease in getting there and the fact we can have a night out in Cardiff. considering its a stag trip i was worried that we were playing the champ carnoustie course on the sunday and didn't fancy a hangover for that! next year....

so doing the Belfry the weekend after next, then St Mellion in Feb and the 2010 course in April :)
decent start to the year!

T

thecraw

Its a great night out in Broughty Ferry. Eye candy is mighty fine too!

Although I know people who have been in Cardiff for a stag and they raved about it.