CBD oil - has anyone tried it?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/study-reveals-positive-effects-of-cbd-in-golf-performance

Interesting on-course survey results, as well as better sleep/fewer injuries. Is anyone a devotee?

• On average, testers improved their scoring by 1.16 shots

• 67% overall improved scoring average

• 71% of testers increased their driving distance

• Driving distance increased by 2% (around 5 yards), with the average distance increasing from 238 yards to 243 yards

• 61% of testers improved their putting over the course of the test

• Number of three putts reduced from once every 14.8 holes to once every 19.2 holes

• Of the 22 categories that were analysed by Shot Scope, 16 of the 22 saw improvement

RichA

Visit site
I got through 2 small bottles a couple of years ago, with an open mind. I could not feel any difference whatsoever to the symptoms that I was hoping it would alleviate or anything else. I wasn't playing golf at the time, but my performance wasn't enhanced in any of my other recreational activities.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If the stats in the OP are consistent, then surely it’s the dictionary definition of a performance enhancing drug and shouldn’t be allowed, especially for the pros

not sure any pros are going to be banned based on the stats in a commercial based on a 100 choppers. not sure why its being posted as if its actually a proper study into the effects of CBD

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm extremely skeptical of how that test was performed and of those results.

I have tried CBD in various forms and can't say it did or didn't have effect on me. At an extreme stretch I may have slept better (self administered placebo effect?) such that if I could have observed anything I would have concluded, in a surprise to no-one, that having a good night's sleep helped improved my performance. Valerian would do the same if not better for me.

I'm aware that there is some published evidence that CBD may reduce blood pressure so wouldn't dismiss it entirely but even so. I wonder if any of those golfing performance claims have been repeated in blind trials and verified by peer review? I somehow doubt it and that's before I get, yet again, into questioning the accuracy of the GPS data that is subject to all sorts of errors that can explain away an "improvement" of a few yards.

Perfectly happy to be proven wrong.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There are loads of adverts and articles online claiming that CBD can improve your golf and I have seen that Bubba, Phil Mick, Catriona Matthews and many others are using/endorsing it. I find it strange that the PGA and WADA have removed it from the banned list if it is as good as what the manufacturers claim.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Yet another thread on this (maybe) snake oil. Would have expected better from a GM staffer :whistle:

Was more interested in what people actually think (bad back etc) rather than giving it a push. There’s no mention of feeling an inner peace over any green side chip so will probably give it a miss

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
my uncle uses it, a couple of drops on his tongue before bedtime, he seems to think it helps him, it also helps him walk and swing for 18 holes without significant pain from his back, previously he was in pain after about 12 holes.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Started using it for help alleviate back pain and did a load of research before deciding which brand and strength to go for as the market was huge. For me the results were underwhelming, no affect on pain suffered and didn't really feel any affects. I've tried both the oil and the gummies to see if there is any difference and there wasn't for me.

D

Deleted member 1147

I hope everybody noticed that it was "Darren Clarke" CBD oil in the advert. I mean study, other brands might not be so effective.
Does Darren use it?
If so, he’s no advert for it, unless people want to be fat and miserable

D

Deleted member 1147

Have a tube of CBD cream for aches and pains. Think there’s chilli in it for the heat. Tbh, Ralgex or Deepheat is better.
I use one called fisiogel which a physio friend of mine gets me.
It works very well, but is expensive if not bought at cost.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. There are pharmacological grade cannabinoid therapeutics approved for childhood epilepsy, cachexia and cancer pain, but their efficacy is modest even though you can at least rely that they contain what is stated on the box. The commercial CBD products are a bit more variable in quality, sometimes containing very different proportions of cannabinoids from those stated, and although there is plenty of anecdote (with a large measure of placebo effect) there is not much good evidence that they do anything meaningful. CBD is less risky than THC.

Chilli (per Hobbit above), in the form of capsaicin, is a proven analgesic and a reputable drug and a different matter altogether. No problem recommending that for joint pains and aches.