Cat Pee!!!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Tips and sound advice required. I have a pair of ecco shoes that are 7 months old but absolutely honk like cat pee now! (not good) I drove to the course yesterday wearing them and I could smell them while wearing them. Yes its that bad. I got to the course yesterday and spent £70 on a "summer" pair of Adidas as I wasn't walking about stinking of cat pee! (I went to the locker room, took off my shoes, changed into spare socks and walked to the pro shop in my socks claiming I had forgotten my golf shoes.)

I am very close to binning a £200 pair of shoes which are in immaculate condition.

I assume they've gone away wet however I'm pretty anal about my kit and quite sure that I've never left them damp or wet apart from being in the boot of the car to my house where I always take them into the house, clean and polish them. I air dry shoes as well, never on top of a heat source.

Who can recommend a product or way of getting rid of this horrendous smell before these end up in a bin.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
How about fitting new insoles? Usually the stench is just from that bit. Failing that, Google "smelly shoe cure" something about putting them in the freezer and other stuff.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I take it you don't have a cat? Maybe it is actually cat pee! ;)

Have you contacted ecco and see what they say?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Freeze (you need to kill the bacteria), baking soda. Definitely change the insoles. Mumsnet is a good one for this as I found when looking at a smelly trainer thread. My sons trainers were humming but were not that old. I did the freeze thing, then the baking soda. Neither worked for me, but do for others. I went down the insole route and that did the trick.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have 4 pairs of ecco shoes. 3 pairs are fine, one pair are as you describe. I have yet to find a cure. I use them for gardening now, and they live in the garage.

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have had this with cheaper brand trainers & plimsole/converse style shoes.

I have always binned them as they are cheaper shoes. But from what I have heard other people say....once it starts there is no getting rid of the smell. You can mask it/remove it for a short period, but 1st wear & they will hum again. It is a certain type of material used (I have been told) that reacts with the bacteria etc in sweat. Some shoes can do it after 1 wear!

I would go back to ecco & see what they say.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Not sure if I fancy putting Yak leather gore lined shoes in my freezer.

Binned the insoles, gave them a spay with a Scholl fresh step I bought and I also got some charcoal odour eater things in Asda as well. See how these work. Shoes are lying stinking in the garage. Certainly won't be going back in the boot of the car or the wardrobe.

@ Murphthemog. Interesting thanks. I've never had "smelly" shoes before. However these are vile smelling. On the plus side the Adidas Tour X 360 are very comfortable straight out the box. Recommended.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
spray with lysol disinfectant make sure the insides are completely dry then use some corn starch powder (baby)

the lysol kills most of the bacteria the corn starch suffocates any remaining
put some more corn starch in just before you head out to play

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Just for the record I still haven't ever had a pair of shoes as bad as these ever - they ended up in the bin.