Cars over £40k

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I appreciate we are hijacking this thread a little but it looks as though D4S has found his website and this is a nice distraction.

A brand new supermarket was built behind where I work, it opened in April this year. It was derelict land, the whole thing was built from scratch. 350 car parking spaces, 2 charging points :rolleyes:. If the govt are serious about electric cars then surely a brand new development should be having row upon row of charging points. It is hard enough installing them into existing infrastructure but for an entirely blank canvas to be ignored is scandalous. If people can not see charging points in abundance they will not change in any volume. Range anxiety is a huge issue and it simply is not being addressed. We need to see banks of chargers everywhere we go, not have to go searching and crossing fingers that the two to be found are not being used.

Fully agree there should be a ton of electric charging points in all new built places

Our work car park we look like we might be getting charge points but still saying only half the car park rather than all it.. it's only 20 spaces and will be run by an outside company so hardly going to be that much more to do the lot

Then again with the cost of charging at these fast points I'd rather stick to charging overnight at 3-5p per kw rather than 25p away from home.. starts getting more pricey and might aswell just use petrol

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One simple thing for me - cost

I am never going to able to afford an EV and there must be millions of people even worse off than me
so unless the government is going to subsidise these to an enormously high level it is just never going to happen.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Saying what I did previous my golf club has 3 charge points far end of car park

It's a brand new club built 2017

So why only 3? Hardly anyone used them ATM but say 3 years down line what good is 3 charge points?!! 30 more like it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Incidentally Bob, I am not having a pop at your comments, i agree with you. i am frustrated that the infrastructure is not being put in place to enable us to move across to these cars. So much buidling is happening right now but so little is setting us up for a change to electric vehicles, should a charging point not be auotmatically fitted in each new house for example? The govt are happy to talk big, set deadlines, but not get involved in the critical aspect.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you look at people’s mileages charge points at work shouldn’t be a necessity unless the pool car/ van is electric. We all should be okay with 250 miles in the tank, and it will be second nature to plug in overnight. I think hotels/b&bs should have that capability for their guests. The last option is to use a common charge point. Inner city travel is short distance but huge mileages you should be looking at a phev with regen capabilities .. I borrowed an I pace and went to rapid charge it .. at £25 for 190 miles I walked away .. handed it back with 5% charge and let them use their work charger.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Saying what I did previous my golf club has 3 charge points far end of car park

It's a brand new club built 2017

So why only 3? Hardly anyone used them ATM but say 3 years down line what good is 3 charge points?!! 30 more like it

It's a golf club not a petrol station. EV is a different mentality you don't fill to the brim then refuel when nearly empty like most do with a petrol/diesel car, most EV drivers top up every evening at home (provided they have a garage or drive) so you always have a full (90%) tank each morning, you would never go to a petrol station and put in 1 or 2 gallon every day. Most people at the golf club will live locally so won't need a charge but handy for visitors who can charge up whilst playing though.

Do they charge a fee for use or are they free?

If free, folk will just use them for the sake of free fuel (which is still costing the club money), if you charge per kw it's likely it will be much cheaper to charge at home so locals won't bother.

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I looked at getting an ev van. Yes, the latest Nissan one has a claimed 170 mile range. However in reality, once loaded and using the air con or heating brings the range down to around 80 miles(2 seperate drivers of the same van have said exactly this). I do about 100-120 a day, and I don’t have the time during the day to sit whilst it charges.
i know VW will have an electric Transporter, than can have extended range up to about 280 miles.. but whilst that should be a minimum range, no doubt the initial cost will probably be prohibitiv.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's a golf club not a petrol station. EV is a different mentality you don't fill to the brim then refuel when nearly empty like most do with a petrol/diesel car, most EV drivers top up every evening at home (provided they have a garage or drive) so you always have a full (90%) tank each morning, you would never go to a petrol station and put in 1 or 2 gallon every day. Most people at the golf club will live locally so won't need a charge but handy for visitors who can charge up whilst playing though.

Do they charge a fee for use or are they free?

If free, folk will just use them for the sake of free fuel (which is still costing the club money), if you charge per kw it's likely it will be much cheaper to charge at home so locals won't bother.

They are charged which your right locals may not bother but if your playing golf or going gym maybe fill up whilst your playing.. something you would be doing anyways so u don't notice the time it takes to fill

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Incidentally Bob, I am not having a pop at your comments, i agree with you. i am frustrated that the infrastructure is not being put in place to enable us to move across to these cars. So much buidling is happening right now but so little is setting us up for a change to electric vehicles, should a charging point not be auotmatically fitted in each new house for example? The govt are happy to talk big, set deadlines, but not get involved in the critical aspect.

Wales are starting

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They are charged which your right locals may not bother but if your playing golf or going gym maybe fill up whilst your playing.. something you would be doing anyways so u don't notice the time it takes to fill

Yes, but you can't get a more convenient time to charge than while your asleep plus you can take advantage of cheap rate electricity overnight @ 5p kwh, so probably around 1/4 or less of the price of using a public charger throughout the day.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Brilliant (y). Huge amount of house building going on around where I live and also where I work and all should be done in a similar way. Instead we have same old same old :mad:. The govt should be legislating on this.
The government are clueless... they should kill plastic packaging with a new law .. the car makers get hit every time directly or indirectly and they cope. So I really don’t understand the lack of legislation at all .. it’s an easy win election brag any one who pushes back is anti dolphins

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, but you can't get a more convenient time to charge than while your asleep plus you can take advantage of cheap rate electricity overnight @ 5p kwh, so probably around 1/4 or less of the price of using a public charger throughout the day.

Indeed you can.. which I have posted on here as that's what I will be doing

However for those who don't have that luxury of a drive or go long way to a course or work it would be better to have many points available

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What are the prioirites Gordon? Price, size, running costs, doors, power, petrol/Diesel etc. Do you intend keeping for several years or just 2 or 3?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
One simple thing for me - cost

I am never going to able to afford an EV and there must be millions of people even worse off than me
so unless the government is going to subsidise these to an enormously high level it is just never going to happen.

EVs could be a lot cheaper now but if they were, car dealers would never sell the petrol and diesel cars sat in their showrooms and still being built now.
At least Volvo and Jaguar/Landrover have been brave and have said by 2025 the will only sell full EVs or hybrids.
I believe many people who may have problems with charging will start with a hybrid which makes sense, best of both worlds.

There's also the bonus of the improving battery technology filtering into other products.
You moby/ipad/laptop battery could charge in 30mins and last days, not forgetting your electric trolley lasting 5-6 rounds without charging.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
EVs could be a lot cheaper now but if they were, car dealers would never sell the petrol and diesel cars sat in their showrooms and still being built now.
At least Volvo and Jaguar/Landrover have been brave and have said by 2025 the will only sell full EVs or hybrids.
I believe many people who may have problems with charging will start with a hybrid which makes sense, best of both worlds.

There's also the bonus of the improving battery technology filtering into other products.
You moby/ipad/laptop battery could charge in 30mins and last days, not forgetting your electric trolley lasting 5-6 rounds without charging.

I cannot afford a Jaguar anyway but I am sure that those that can could afford an EV.

Their must be millions of people whose budget is £5 or less.

Say you are a parent with 3 kids are you going to be able to afford to buy each one an EV. Both of mine got cars that were over 5 years old.