Carry half set- pencil or stand bag better?

Mandofred

Visit site
I don't know if I will buy a carry bag or not.....but.......a pencil bag is small and I can't put much in it. A stand bag has more room, and I will carry more.....just because I can. Even though the stand bag is barely heavier, by the time I stick stuff in it....it will be 600lbs heavier.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The next item on my list will be a pencil bag, we have a few limited club events, and the course is quite short so its easy to get by with 3w a few irons wedge and putter.

As banjo said its easy to overload a bigger bag simple because its bigger.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ve been getting out for 6-8 holes in my dinner hour (ish) and after work.

Still using pencil bag for now as the course isn’t muddy just a bit of moisture and the bag is waterproof with a small stand that keeps the club heads off the deck.

I can see the carry bag coming out before long though As the bottom of the bag will start to get muddy.

I only bother with the trolley and staff bag for full rounds.

MrGrumtastic

Visit site
I see pencil bags as a bit like skinny jeans. I prefer the flexibility of a regular cut and the ability to put things in the pockets, but some people prefer the look of the skinny jeans. ?‍♂️

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have 3 bags; trolley, stand and pencil

The trolley bag is self explanatory.
The stand bag is for winter golf, or for when travelling and space is short, so a trolley is a no no.
The pencil bag lives in my locker with the trolley bag, and gets used on evenings or early morning 9 holers.
this

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
My pencil bag gets used for popping to range &/or practice area with 4 or 5 clubs and some scrap balls

Not really suitable for much else

sunshine

Visit site
I have 3 bags; trolley, stand and pencil

The trolley bag is self explanatory.
The stand bag is for winter golf, or for when travelling and space is short, so a trolley is a no no.
The pencil bag lives in my locker with the trolley bag, and gets used on evenings or early morning 9 holers.

Isn't this a lot of faff? You have to keep transferring clubs, balls etc between bags. Also I'm thinking of the peripheral things that sit at the bottom of my bag all year that I might need but I would easily forget: wet weather glove, bar card, sunglasses, range finder, insect repellent, etc.

I just use a (larger) stand bag all the time, if I'm only playing a few holes I'll leave 5 or 6 clubs behind in the boot.

Mandofred

Visit site
Isn't this a lot of faff? You have to keep transferring clubs, balls etc between bags. Also I'm thinking of the peripheral things that sit at the bottom of my bag all year that I might need but I would easily forget: wet weather glove, bar card, sunglasses, range finder, insect repellent, etc.

I just use a (larger) stand bag all the time, if I'm only playing a few holes I'll leave 5 or 6 clubs behind in the boot.
I'm leaning towards a stand bag at the moment, the weight difference seems pretty minimal. But.....transferring some clubs from one bag to another takes...what....about 15 seconds? If I do change bags for the winter.....I wouldn't go back and forth to different sized bags...I would stick to the same bag as long as the weather is sloppy. I haven't carried a bag since I was pretty young....15? And back in those days it was just the one strap on one shoulder and I used my other arm to hold the bottom of the bag. No idea if it will bother me until I do it. Whether it's a pencil bag or a stand bag....it will force me to down-size mentally. I tend to just throw lots of crap in the bag that I "might" need. Sometimes I look in the ball pocket and wonder how I got 20+ balls in there. With a trolley I don't care. With a carry bag it's kind of like hiking, you don't take what you don't need.

D

Deleted member 1147

I don’t find it to be.
The change between trolley and stand bags is only done a couple of time’s each year. Start of winter, end of spring and if I go on a golfing holiday.
The change from trolling to pencil bag is easy, as I have a bag full of tees, markers, pitchmark repairer, which gets moved from one bad to another as does the towel and laser .
It already has a few old balls in it, and as it’s only for quick, friendly knocks it isn’t too important.

sunshine

Visit site
But.....transferring some clubs from one bag to another takes...what....about 15 seconds?
Agree, swapping the clubs is easy. I was thinking about going through all the bag pockets for all the other bits and pieces like pitch mark repairers, laser, etc.

I haven't carried a bag since I was pretty young....15? And back in those days it was just the one strap on one shoulder and I used my other arm to hold the bottom of the bag. No idea if it will bother me until I do it.
Don't know how old you are but if you're comparing with bags from 20 years ago there is a world of difference. So much lighter now, and the double strap makes a massive difference by spreading the weight, plus frees up both your hands while walking.

Mandofred

Visit site
Agree, swapping the clubs is easy. I was thinking about going through all the bag pockets for all the other bits and pieces like pitch mark repairers, laser, etc.

Don't know how old you are but if you're comparing with bags from 20 years ago there is a world of difference.
I'm 63....make that closer to 50 years ago. Yeah, I know....bags were beasts back then. I am a slob.....so I try to keep my ball marks, tees, repair tools etc in a small plastic container so I don't have to hunt for them. If I didn't do that.....I'd just fill up pockets with way too much junk and have to hunt for stuff all the time.

Mandofred

Visit site
THats neat, but RRP £120! Who would pay that when you can get a lightweight stand bag at that price
The ones I've seen are from £69-89, I think that was through clubhouse golf.

Just looked...Callaway was on Clubhouse for £69, Mizuno for £89 at Snainton. I think I saw a Taylormade somewhere for £79.

Last edited:

petema99

Visit site
Personally not a fan of having to constantly put down/pick up pencil bags and the fact that you can only take out or put back in clubs when you're holding the bag upright. Stand bags all the way!

Mandofred

Visit site
Personally not a fan of having to constantly put down/pick up pencil bags and the fact that you can only take out or put back in clubs when you're holding the bag upright. Stand bags all the way!
Definitely thinking stand up bag. But....bending half way down to pick up a pencil bag with a small stand isn't the issue (and I am assuming you can stick your club straight in one of those). How many times do I bend over to pick up my ball? Mark my ball? Preferred lies...pick up the ball. Bending down a few more times for the bag is irrelevant, I'm not out of shape. If there was a bigger weight saving with the pencil bag I think I would go that way, but it's not enough to tip me that way.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Mandofred

Visit site
Funny enough, I saw some of the new TaylorMade Quiver bags in the golf shop today and thought about this thread, as you do...
I picked one up and had a look and was quite impressed, definitely sturdier than a normal pencil bag, definitely smaller than the smallest stand bag.

If I was in the market, I'd certainly consider one.

https://www.taylormadegolf.co.uk/Quiver-Stand-Bag/DW-KY782.html
Shhhh....don't say that out loud......it can't be.... golf needs to stay the same.....forever......