Carry half set- pencil or stand bag better?

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Opinions on which bag to get?

I’m planning on getting a few holes played couple evenings in week while daylight allows. Might only manage 5/6 holes from here on depending how quickly I make course.

Going to take 8 clubs and carry (driver, 3H, 5,7,9 50&58 deg, putter)

Was going to get a pencil bag but then was thinking maybe just a lightweight smaller stand bag with proper legs would be better? The weight difference may not even be that much more noticeable

Especially to keep club off ground if damp, etc. Only need a bit of storage space for tees, balls, etc. Maybe a jacket.

What would opinion be?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
yes the main issue with a pencil bag is it getting wet with the dew, though i tend to lean mine against the tee, which at my club are close to the greens.

i do like the pencil bag though, just enough for haf a set and a few holes without carrying too much with you

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like my pencil bag but the only drawback is that you have to lay on the ground so it gets a bit grubby if there's mud, as do your headcovers that stick out the top. If you could get hold of a pencil bag with a small stand or mini-stand that would probably be best.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I use a Nike weekend carry pencil bag - not had any problems with it getting grubby, though where I play we don't get mud, and although it must get a bit damp if there's dew around I can't say I've ever noticed it. No weight to it at all and like it a lot.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Opinions on which bag to get?

I’m planning on getting a few holes played couple evenings in week while daylight allows. Might only manage 5/6 holes from here on depending how quickly I make course.

Going to take 8 clubs and carry (driver, 3H, 5,7,9 50&58 deg, putter)

Was going to get a pencil bag but then was thinking maybe just a lightweight smaller stand bag with proper legs would be better? The weight difference may not even be that much more noticeable

Especially to keep club off ground if damp, etc. Only need a bit of storage space for tees, balls, etc. Maybe a jacket.

What would opinion be?

Personal view is that a pencil bag is big enough for stuff you need and even a full set if you really want, but having used one as I liked the style and simplicity, it just gets a chore bending down to pick up your clubs 40 or 50 times.

While still fine for 9 holes, the bag has been sitting in my spare room and isn't close to getting used.

Smaller stand bag should be the consideration.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ya I’m thinking small stand bag that’s not bulky may be the ideal way to go. just to read a few reviews online and find one that’s light. Most manufacturers class their bags as “light” even though some are far from it in my past experience. But in the past I’d have been looking for ones to fit a full set and all the rest of the extra gear so different considerations this time

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ya I’m thinking small stand bag that’s not bulky may be the ideal way to go. just to read a few reviews online and find one that’s light. Most manufacturers class their bags as “light” even though some are far from it in my past experience. But in the past I’d have been looking for ones to fit a full set and all the rest of the extra gear so different considerations this time
In fairness they are all light until you put your clubs in them. :LOL:

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
island-time-button-up-detail-01.jpg

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is a lightweight bag with a removable stand for me - best of both worlds.

The stand stays on it most the time because I hate all the bending down to pick it up and it stays dry if the grass is wet.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ther ARE pencil bags that have a small stand. Wilson do one that a Pro mate kept in the back of his (small) car for casual 'Lets go play some Golf' thoughts.
Also had a plastic area at the bottom to keep the dew off the bag.

Great compromise/alternative imo.

Mandofred

Visit site
Just looking into these. There are a few pencil bags with small legs to keep it off the ground. Callaway, Mizuno, Taylormade.....

Grantley1988

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve got one of these which has mini feet to keep the bag of the ground when it’s wet.

I generally have a Jones bag in play. I’m an advocate for pencil bags.

Attachments

• 269AA623-1B43-4710-807A-97936ADA0549.gif
    269AA623-1B43-4710-807A-97936ADA0549.gif
    91.9 KB · Views: 7
D

Deleted member 1147

I have 3 bags; trolley, stand and pencil

The trolley bag is self explanatory.
The stand bag is for winter golf, or for when travelling and space is short, so a trolley is a no no.
The pencil bag lives in my locker with the trolley bag, and gets used on evenings or early morning 9 holers.