Car rental company taking the mick?

Chumpalot83

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Long story short, someone hit my car and it went in for repair. Their insurance dealt with the entire thing and provided me with a rental car.

When I dropped my car off to the garage, the rental car was being unloaded from the truck. The driver and myself checked the car over and I notified him of all the little dents and nicks that were present. The car was absolutely filthy, and I mean filthy. He apologised that was the case and said he didn't have time to get it washed due to traffic on the roads and not wanting to be late. Fair enough.

I drove the car home and used it for the next 10 days. Taking meticulous care over it as I would my own car. All was fine.

Last Friday I got a call whilst I was at work, my car was ready for collection. Swiftly after that I had a call from the rental company saying that I needed to drop their car off by 17:30 that day. Bit keen I thought, the woman on the phone gave me the impression there was no room for negotiation so I took the afternoon off work to go and collect my car.

I arrived at the garage at 13:30. No car rental company in sight. I collected my own car keys, inspected my car and left the rental keys with the ladies at the desk. I tried to call the company but after being on hold for 20 minutes decided to leave (I wanted to get a range session in before it started to get dark :D)

I had a call on the day after from the vehicle rental company asking where their car was :confused: I explained I'd left it with the garage the day before. They seemed surprised.

Today, I have received an invoice in the post (marked as paid) to the tune of £60 telling me that they have found damage to the near-side rear door and that I'm liable for the repairs. They have charged my credit card already.

Now, I realise I signed an agreement when inspecting and receiving the car that I'd be liable for any damage done to it. However, I know the damage (if indeed there is any damage) wasn't done by me.

I'm about to write an email back to them disputing this. Detailing a) the state of the car when it first arrived and how any such damage would have been hard to identify and b) the fact that it was left at the garage overnight and it's more than reasonable to believe the damage could have occurred then.

What do people think?

:)

Last edited:

Whee

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You can only give it a go, i'd suggest a phone call would be easier than the letter though.

Worth suggesting to them that they check previous records of hire of the same vehicle and check if the damage had been detailed before.

Your argument about the state of the car on delivery is spot on, and they'll find it difficult to debate.

Chumpalot83

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You can only give it a go, i'd suggest a phone call would be easier than the letter though.

Worth suggesting to them that they check previous records of hire of the same vehicle and check if the damage had been detailed before.

Your argument about the state of the car on delivery is spot on, and they'll find it difficult to debate.

Apparently I have to email them. They don't accept disputes over the phone.

Part of me is thinking they're just trying it on and it won't take much to get my money back. I guess we'll see. I just wanted to make sure I had at least one leg to stand on that's all.

Thanks

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
call your CC company and dispute the cost, they will hold the payment until resolution

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slight problem you have here is , even if the garage damaged the car after you droped it there , they will never admit it , therefore the mark that is now on the car that was not reported on it when you recieved it, "technicaly" is your responsability , but if you didnt do it , stand your ground..

IF you had an appointment or arranged time to meet the hire company & they didnt show within a reasonable ammount of time OR if you had asked the person you left the keys with to inspect the car then you might have had come back ..

Try one thing tho.. ask for evidence or proof of the damage , ie pictures of the damage , some hire companys (allegedly) are known to make easy profit this way .. as said below let your credit card know of the dispute & ask them to withold payment , when the hire company contacts you if they havent proof of the damage & you are adamant you didnt do it tell them straight up you aint paying it until you are shown proof of the damage ..

What is strange is the price , £60 ?? you wouldnt get much repaired for £60

Chumpalot83

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Slight problem you have here is , even if the garage damaged the car after you droped it there , they will never admit it , therefore the mark that is now on the car that was not reported on it when you recieved it, "technicaly" is your responsability , but if you didnt do it , stand your ground..

IF you had an appointment or arranged time to meet the hire company & they didnt show within a reasonable ammount of time OR if you had asked the person you left the keys with to inspect the car then you might have had come back ..

Try one thing tho.. ask for evidence or proof of the damage , ie pictures of the damage , some hire companys (allegedly) are known to make easy profit this way .. as said below let your credit card know of the dispute & ask them to withold payment , when the hire company contacts you if they havent proof of the damage & you are adamant you didnt do it tell them straight up you aint paying it until you are shown proof of the damage ..

What is strange is the price , £60 ?? you wouldnt get much repaired for £60

Thanks.

I know, £60 is a strange sum and just tells me they're trying to pull a fast one to make a quick buck out of me.

I've stopped the payment and asked for proof of the damage in my email to them. Hopefully I'll hear from them soon. I know one thing though, they're going to have to work hard for their £60.

alnecosse

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had rental car while car was in for accident repairs, it was delivered with full tank of petrol. I was told to re fill before they picked it up this i did, guy arrived picked up all was ok. I then received an invoice (already paid taken from my card ) for £20 for fuel as i had not filled up before pick up i was seriously miffed but not a thing i could do as i had nothing in writing just a scam as far as i was concerned and my phone calls to complain were pointless.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I know, £60 is a strange sum and just tells me they're trying to pull a fast one to make a quick buck out of me.

It will be for a "smart" repair. Car park ding, something like that. If it were any worse than that, they would have to paint the door. Impossible for £60.00 (unless they did it themselves with a paintbrush and a tin of gloss).
If the car was that dirty when you picked it up, a car park ding would have been nigh on impossible to see. Difficult enough sometimes when the car is clean!
Oh and just for reference....the guy we use for getting out car park dings charges us £30.00 per panel
;)

Chumpalot83

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had rental car while car was in for accident repairs, it was delivered with full tank of petrol. I was told to re fill before they picked it up this i did, guy arrived picked up all was ok. I then received an invoice (already paid taken from my card ) for £20 for fuel as i had not filled up before pick up i was seriously miffed but not a thing i could do as i had nothing in writing just a scam as far as i was concerned and my phone calls to complain were pointless.

I think this is going the same way :(

It will be for a "smart" repair. Car park ding, something like that. If it were any worse than that, they would have to paint the door. Impossible for £60.00 (unless they did it themselves with a paintbrush and a tin of gloss).
If the car was that dirty when you picked it up, a car park ding would have been nigh on impossible to see. Difficult enough sometimes when the car is clean!
Oh and just for reference....the guy we use for getting out car park dings charges us £30.00 per panel
;)

They've now sent me a picture of the scuff. This could have easily have been identified if the car were clean, but it wasn't. They've also now said I've caused curbing to the front wheels, when the delivery driver marked all 4 wheels down as heavily curbed.

Something isn't adding up. I think they're just trying to make a quick buck. I'll keep emailing them and protesting my innocence, it's all I can do. I may threaten legal action if it goes on much further.

user2009

Head Pro
Visit site
I've read about these sort of scams before, there'll be discussions and advice on sites such as moneysavingexperts.com or pepipoo