Car Parks

Beel77

Medal Winner
Visit site
I recently played the Hunting Course at Slaley Hall in Northumberland. I hit my drive up the middle then for my second I just straight pulled it left which is a car park. Luckily I missed a car or cars. What would have happened if I had nailed a car? I am aware most places it is park at your own risk but with guilt etc what is the procedure?

Cheers

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I guess that would depend if you had insurance or not? I don't think I have ever seen a park at your own risk sign at any club I have played at, but it is certainly something nobody wants to see happen. I guess morally if it was just car damage I would feel bad not offering, would just have to hope it wasn't someones brand new mercedes

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A principled person would leave a note for the owner of the damaged car.

Some clubs either have insurance for members or include it in visitors green fees, so you could have been covered anyway.

D

Deleted member 17920

I recently played the Hunting Course at Slaley Hall in Northumberland. I hit my drive up the middle then for my second I just straight pulled it left which is a car park. Luckily I missed a car or cars. What would have happened if I had nailed a car? I am aware most places it is park at your own risk but with guilt etc what is the procedure?

Cheers
You need to buy some insurance, how would you feel if it had been your car that was hit? Would you have been happy if was park at your own risk?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Meyrick Park in Bournemouth has the car park up the left side of the 18th fairway, quite common for balls to end up in there :eek:

D

Deleted member 15344

Normally most golf clubs have insurance to cover damage in the car park but only if parked in a designated parking space

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I once hit a car parked up on Epsom Downs on that mad course up there. Turned out me playing golf wasn't the only sport going on that day ;) Bloke never even noticed the dent in his roof so I quickly carried on and left him to it.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Cheers

Take it that it was the 9th? Must have been a wild second shot

That's the members only car park these days and I've heard a few "thunks" over the years

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't think there is anything as "park at your own risk". If a golfer damages your car whilst playing then he/she is liabel. There's been several court cases where all decided that a person should have some control over where the ball is heading.

If they come forward or just slink off is a totally different matter.

Personally I've got insurance, wouldn't play without it, too much to risk if you do hit someone.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
My clubs front and back nine are seperated by the car park. Our 9th hole is an up hill park 3 and its lined by cars on the left. You literally have no more than 20 worth of pull before your hitting cars.

My playing partner hit a car. Went into the club shop to report it. The pro then went and got the guy who's car was hit out of the club house. The 3 went to inspect the damage and upon inspections the gentleman informed my partner that the damage he thought he done was in fact done the week prior by someone else. He still parks in the same spot. Crazy. Had a nice 14 plate 3 series too.

We have insurance though. You hit a car, you report it to the club house. If your car has been hit, you go to the club house and if its reported then you go through the insurance.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
never played it but, North Berwick has a car park on the right side of the 18th. looks like a perfect sherman angle for playing to the green.

I'm sure when i do play there, thats where i def won't be parking;)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some years ago I was playing at my old club in NI, Dungannon ("home of Darren Clarke") and the 7th hole runs right up to the clubhouse with a corner of the car park overlooking the green. I hit a pitch which caught the wind (that's my story) and was heading for the carpark. As the ball headed inevitably towards the windscreen of an Audi, I said to my playing partner "Gosh (paraphrased), I wonder who owns that car?". "I do", he answered, as the ball hit the wiper blade. Off popped the wind deflector and the ball bounced back in play. "I suppose I shouldn't park it there, really", he said later.

I also played with a guy once who hit a ball into the carpark at a course where I was a visitor and smashed a back window. "I'd better leave a note", he said. Later in the bar, as I was leaving I heard a guy complain about his smashed back windscreen. I told him I was playing with the guy that did it, and asked if he got the note. "Yeah, I did" he said "It just said 'Sorry, mate', no name or address".

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Fortunately I've never hit a car but I've come close to being hit by a ball in the car park of a club I used to play at where the car park stretches all the way down alongside the 1st fairway!! I was very lucky.

Out of of interest who's the best to get for golf insurance and how much does it normally cost?

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
never played it but, North Berwick has a car park on the right side of the 18th. looks like a perfect sherman angle for playing to the green.

I'm sure when i do play there, thats where i def won't be parking;)

All visitors are " members for the day ", and so have insurance via the club if they hit a car. So we can all relax on the 18th tee - unless of course your own car is in the line up :eek:.

Luckily for me I walk to to the course....