Car price question

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
For those more active in buying/selling cars than me, I had a question on current pricing.

Specifically, if a reasonably popular and well spec'd car seems to clear at £15k - 17k depending on whether is private sale or dealer sale, what should be normal range of either part exchange valuation or outright purchase by a dealer? I know it's all subject to negotiation and details about the specific car (adjusted for mileage, spec, etc), but seeing if anybody had a rough estimate of what would be market standard for the discount in today's world vs a private sale.

Cheers.

RichA

Visit site
12 months ago, when things started getting tight, you'd be lucky to get within a couple of £k of Parker's quotes. Most dealers won't put your old car on the forecourt - it'll go straight to auction and they'll hope it doesn't make a loss.
They might even suggest you go to WeBuyAnyCar rather than trade it in to them.
Things are even tighter now.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Parkers are London prices , they are as good as anywhere to start.

Take a look at similar online and on ebay in the classifieds. The AA, What car, motors.co.uk., autotrader.

The last car I sold privately went via ebay classifieds.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On a related subject, when might be the best time this year to buy a 2nd hand car for approx 7 or 7.5K, thinking a fabia, or similar type car.

September, just after the new reg, or sooner?

Kennysarmy

Visit site
On a related subject, when might be the best time this year to buy a 2nd hand car for approx 7 or 7.5K, thinking a fabia, or similar type car.

September, just after the new reg, or sooner?
Isn't the rule end of month, end of quarter or end of year and hope they're trying to hit their figures. As always when buying a car be prepared to walk away.

I got a decent deal on a seat Leon on last day of the quarter, cost to change was almost 12k, told them I only had 10 and started getting up to leave.... Deal done at 10 after the obligatory salesman check with the sales director lol

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to work for an insurance company and had access to the online version of the Glass's guide. I have never seen any regional variations of prices.

There is probably not in the guides but when I moved here from Surrey it was one of the things I noticed on the forecourts in comparison to Parkers guides you could buy at the time and the prices you could see when buying Autotrader.

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
For the online valuation sites, since both sides can see what the "expected" value for part-exchange or dealer price is, is that realistically what is quickly settled on after some mandatory low-balling (with reasonable adjustments for condition/spec), or is it more of a theoretical upper maximum and most people will get lower. Rich A - I assume that's what you meant by the market is tight?
I recognize that the dealer needs to make a profit and removing the hassle of selling privately, but just trying to be fore-armed with knowledge before making a fool of myself in any negotiation.

RichA

Visit site
I'm not a trader and my knowledge is only personal, but I've bought, traded in and sold many cars and used all the available tools for getting realistic valuations. In my more recent experience, buying nearly new and selling at 5-10 years old, they'll low-ball you by 2k and knock the same off their forecourt price, so it all cancels out.
Good deals can be had buying new in the £15-£30k bracket, but using a broker like Drive The Deal. You might be surprised his good a deal you can get.