Car park golfers

User20204

Visit site
Firstly I am not what you would term a car park golfer, we're not even allowed to change our shoes in the car park!

ive seen this posted on here before, what does that even mean ?

who could stop you, what reason would they not allow you to ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have no idea on all fronts but I respect it as it's the rules of where I play golf!
I've genuinely never been to a club where this is the case and, like you, would respect it if I played somewhere that had this rule. Are there signs up in the car park telling people not to change their shoes there? How do visitors know of the rule?

User20204

Visit site
I'm trying to understand the reason for it ? Can anyone explain why there is such a rule ? And no I don't want a reference to other rules just this one.

D

Deleted member 23270

I'm trying to understand the reason for it ? Can anyone explain why there is such a rule ? And no I don't want a reference to other rules just this one.
My understanding is that it goes back to the days of metal spikes. They could chew up the tarmac in the car park over a period of time. Obviously not an issue these days but we can't revoke rules just because they aren't relevant anymore!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t change my shoes, I drive to the course in them, I play , I go into the bar with them on and I drive home ... really don’t give a monkeys, I pay my subs and I use the facilities as I please and within the rule set. If that rule set offends me I’ll go elsewhere.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Probably to get you into the habit of using the clubhouse, encourage you to pop in and buy food/drink?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not sure if you picked me up wrongly or I didn't word it correctly.

Firstly I am not what you would term a car park golfer, we're not even allowed to change our shoes in the car park! Therefore I must must the clubhouse on every visit.

As I said in the other thread I easily spend £30 a month as likewise we're a very sociable club where "sweeps" and matches seem to start with a cuppa and a roll or a bowl of soup after the golf. I'm more than happy to use the facilities and the course.

Sorry - I did misread what you were saying - but wasn't disagreeing. My comment was actually about your thoughts about your clubhouse 'atmosphere' (I misread it as if you had an issue with it - sorry). My post really just takes from that that folks using the clubhouse can make a good atmosphere - or it might not - but you'll never get a good atmosphere if good numbers of members aren't using the clubhouse. It works really were for us - we're fortunate I guess.

The whole thing is a Catch-22. Rubbish atmosphere - nobody uses - empty clubhouse - rubbish atmosphere - nobody uses. And then you have the knock-on impact of that as I see it of lack of attractiveness to visitors and prospective members. Compared with the other side of the coin where a good clubhouse atmosphere can be good for attracting visitors, societies and new members, as well as supporting a thriving food/bar business - which in itself can attract by reputation non-members having functions in the clubhouse.

As I see it a golf club is an ecosystem and you have to be very watchful that all the constituent parts of that ecosystem continue to play their part. You can never be sure which part of the ecosystem could be crucial in the continuing health of the club - lose a crucial part that you didn't realise was crucial and the ecosystem starts to crumble. I consider each and every member having their own part to play in maintaining the ecosystem and the health of the club.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
Obviously not an issue these days but we can't revoke rules just because they aren't relevant anymore![/QUOTE]

Lol how true.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
I play at a club that's also a hotel. I have found that I much prefer that sort of atmosphere having a beer after a round than a more traditional member's club. Just my opinion.

User20204

Visit site
Probably to get you into the habit of using the clubhouse, encourage you to pop in and buy food/drink?

In my experience, nothing will tempt certain people in to the club, I've had this particular discussion on a number of occasions with those I used to play with. If they were forced to sign in and out right under the bar optics, they'd still turn round and head right back out the door.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Very few car park golfers will be involved in the running of the club or in the committee etc not sure why people find it offensive. If you change in the carpark go to the first tee and then head straight to your car then you are a car park golfer, is that up for dispute ? If that's what some like to do great I've no objection but the term car park golfer is a fairly good description

User20204

Visit site
They are seen as not supportive of the club, it's they're right to do as they wish as they've paid their subs but if it were me, I pout them on a lower step of membership, not saying I have the answer to what that would be but for me a member who supports the club IMO is held in higher esteem, in my mind.