Car Main Dealers, how can they justify exorbitant rates!!

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
My car, (Peugeot) had to go in today to have some warranty work done. The rear seat backs will not lock in plus middle seat belt locks and will not shift. All MOT failures, which is due in March.

Had a call from the Service guy this afternoon to say the parts have been ordered and car will be returned tomorrow evening. He went on to say, "Your rear side light needs replacing Sir and will cost £17.25 inc. VAT&fitting, plus the front brake pads and discs need replacing and will cost £291.75 inc. VAT&fitting, would you like us to carry out these Sir." I said replace side light but not the brakes.

I use a local guy for servicing etc. and he always provides a quick and efficient service, often at short notice and I get the car back the same day. I can also pop in with any minor problems at any time and he will always sort for me. An instance only last week after the freezing temperatures, the fuse blew on the screen wash. Bonnet up, job done, great.

After the call I phoned him just for a laugh. He was quite annoyed at them as he'd just recently,(2 weeks ago)carried out a 12000 mile service, including rear brake pads at a cost of £120. He said that if front needed pads and discs replacing he would have told me.

No doubt they wanted to make up for free warranty work, well, I did have the side light done :rolleyes: :D

Golfmmad.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Its a case of "because they can get away with it"
They dont pay top rates nor use top quality parts neither. Its seems that the a lot of folks have not yet heard of block exemption when it comes to stamps and warranty.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
A few years ago ,i took my car to the main dealer as it had a lack of power, an hour later a phone call from the service dept, your turbo and fuel pump are knackerd that will be £2300 will we just start the reapir. After picking myself up of the floor i phoned my mate who picked up my car from the garage checked it out and was told its only the turbo gone, 2 days later turbo fitted ,total cost £550.I got a bill from the dealer for £65 for 3/4 hrs labour for checking the car out they were told to go and **** themselves bunch of robbing gets , at least Robin Hood wore a mask when he robbed you, so main dealers no more.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Like I've said before....it's a jungle out there.

I was quoted £280 for a starter motor for a Honda (the only thing ever wrong with it) and repaired it for less the £10s-worth of parts ordered from a firm that re-furbs them. :)

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My V70 Turbo stopped working, and main dealer quoted me extortionate amount for a new one.

Was reccomended to a Volvo Independent garage, who replaced something VERY small on said Turbo, all for about £40.

needless to say I havent been near a main Dealer since.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fiat radiator - £190+ in the box (it will be in Tuesday sir - it was always Tuesday no matter what day of the week it was when ordering; never was in though)

Recored - £70, in stock

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
They ALWAYS try and chin you on the brakes. I had my car in one year and was quoted £280 for new front pads & discs. I changed them myself for about £100 only to be told at the next service (1 year later) that they needed done. I went batshit crazy at them.

Exactly the same thing happened last year with the wifes car when it was in for MOT and service. The main stealer failed it due to brake wear and wanted nearly £300 to change them. I took it to the local council place who passed it with no advisories whatsoever. I went batshit crazy at them also.

The kids they employ are also something to behold... I wouldn't trust them with a pair of scissors never mind my car.

Spoff

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Its a case of "because they can get away with it"
They dont pay top rates nor use top quality parts neither. Its seems that the a lot of folks have not yet heard of block exemption when it comes to stamps and warranty.
I don't think I have, what is it?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
They ALWAYS try and chin you on the brakes. I had my car in one year and was quoted £280 for new front pads & discs. I changed them myself for about £100 only to be told at the next service (1 year later) that they needed done. I went batshit crazy at them.

Yes, they do. I've given up taking any notice of brake advisories. I take it for the M.O.T, it passes the test, I replace pads from time to time....that's it.