Car falling apart

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
I am not and have not disputed the value/cost equation regarding Korean or other nations manufacturing. Actual product value is irrelevant if the brand is weak.
Kia Stinger GT is one of the best cars out there pound for pound. But still woefully outsold by AMG, BMW M and Audi RS models which cost over double. Simply because the brand is weak.

Can I ask if you’ve sat in or driven an M car, AMG or RS model? To compare them with the stinger is a bit far fetched. It’s under powered and the quality of interior materials is nowhere near. IThe stinger is a decent car but it’s more in line with the S cars or the 340i/440i Bmw if you really want a comparison. If you compare it to those then it doesn’t stack up well value wise. When you are looking a over 41k for equilivent power the merc/Audi/Bmw would work out much better value.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Perhaps you only do low anual miles, but having had about 8 VW Transporters, 1 Octy, 1 Superb and 2 Fabias, they have all used oil with the Transporters needing quite a bit during the run to the first 20k service, which is about 8 months for me normally. After about 20k miles, they slow down to minimal oil use. The Singsong Tivoli my wife had also used a little oil, but was much better than the VW's
The only engines I have had that haven't used oil are petrol engines, my daughters Ibiza, my wife Yaris and my Mazda3.
20k a year. I had a 2.0d Yeti, and currently have a 2.0.d Superb dsg. Inbetween I've had diesel Volvo's. Maybe I've been lucky 😄

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can I ask if you’ve sat in or driven an M car, AMG or RS model? To compare them with the stinger is a bit far fetched. It’s under powered and the quality of interior materials is nowhere near. IThe stinger is a decent car but it’s more in line with the S cars or the 340i/440i Bmw if you really want a comparison. If you compare it to those then it doesn’t stack up well value wise. When you are looking a over 41k for equilivent power the merc/Audi/Bmw would work out much better value.

I have driven, and owned, M and AMG models and driven the Stinger GT yes.

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
I have driven, and owned, M and AMG models and driven the Stinger GT yes.

You would know that the interior quality and power of the other cars is much higher then, making it an unfair comparison. The extra power alone is a huge jump. My M4 comp is an experience every time you put your foot down. That’s what you pay for with those cars

If you take something fairer (440i m sport) that has similar power but still has a better quality interior etc. You pay £41k for a top of the range stinger, I can pick up a brand new bmw for 38.5k on the road and that’s with the m sport plus pack. When you look at resale values the bmw would be a no brainer.

Kia got their pricing wrong for the car. They either had to go big power to compete or go in low on price.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You would know that the interior quality and power of the other cars is much higher then, making it an unfair comparison. The extra power alone is a huge jump. My M4 comp is an experience every time you put your foot down. That’s what you pay for with those cars

If you take something fairer (440i m sport) that has similar power but still has a better quality interior etc. You pay £41k for a top of the range stinger, I can pick up a brand new bmw for 38.5k on the road and that’s with the m sport plus pack. When you look at resale values the bmw would be a no brainer.

Kia got their pricing wrong for the car. They either had to go big power to compete or go in low on price.

Does the bmw come with indicators?

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
I think the new ones do, as well as a big tub of KY for when the dealer shafts you with the servicing bills.:)

Again, probably someone who hasn’t bought a new bmw recently. I paid £1000 for 5 years servicing for an m4 comp when I bought my m4. The same service plan for my sisters m140i was £550

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Again, probably someone who hasn’t bought a new bmw recently. I paid £1000 for 5 years servicing for an m4 comp when I bought my m4. The same service plan for my sisters m140i was £550
I haven't no. nor would I. Family has.
Eldest daughhters X3, yes she didnt take out service plan, but £700 for front and rear pads. Its on a BM lease, so no choice where to take it.
Son in laws 420d convertible, needs new headlamps as they fog up as soon as it gets wet. BM and dealer dont want to do it, at £1k a unit apparently and they are "within spec". Not good with Xenons.
Youngests bf had EGR cooler failwhich wrecked the engine, (there is a global recall on this) yes BM paid for the £16k engine BM quoted, but they still made him pay £1k labour.

I have no doubts there are plenty with no issues with BMW, but I don't consider them to be as relianle as they were and their dealer costs are stupid, which I suspect is party becasue of longer mileage intervals ergo less garage visits, and most being on a lease of some type so they assume the driver isn't bothered.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Having seen the alarming lack of routine care & maintenance on PCP cars, I'll make sure that I won't be buying an ex-PCP vehicle when I change mine. That said, mine's a Subaru so I won't be having to worry about it for a good few years yet.