Car falling apart

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If German manufacturers were as good as they would like us to believe they are... Why haven't they joined the likes of Toyota, Hyundai and others in selling their product with extended warranties...
Perhaps because most lease/pcp’s are for 3 years and they use it to encourage a new deal.
I read somewhere that 95% of all Mercedes 3 yrs old and under were on lease/pcp with only 5% privately owned.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure if your serious...!?

I’ve got a 335d with 75k on the clock (2011). Last MOT was £750. Then had front disks and pads fitted a few months later £600... which warped due to poor fitting. Another £300 for new pads and disks skimmed. Just last month I had rear bearings and a spring replaced that has snapped without realising, another £950. So nigh on £2.5k spent in a little over 5months. Not once did I blame the car or think it’s need to go, because wear and tear happen’s no matter how angelic you drive.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Blimey, how fast or slow do you drive on a motorway!

My colleague was driving the new A1 1.4 , he was having a bit of fun with a Porsche Macan GTS. He got in front of it at a roundabout on a dual carrigeway and the Porsche couldn't catch him. Obviously top speed the A1 wouldn't have stood a chance but it was good fun to watch. I was following in a Mercedes C class, in comfort mode! :cool:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I drive a Macan, and believe me the A1 wouldn't stand a chance.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
If German manufacturers were as good as they would like us to believe they are... Why haven't they joined the likes of Toyota, Hyundai and others in selling their product with extended warranties...

Perhaps because they don't need to incentivise their brands. Kia and Hyundai provide the warranty to make the brand more attractive, without it they wouldn't sell as many units. BMW, Merc and Audi already have constant sales and an established brand with repeat customers. Not many will go from German to Korean when buying a car.

Toyota lost a lot of ground in the market a few years ago so need to try and win back buyers.

Fairly simple market forces drivers.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Perhaps because they don't need to incentivise their brands. Kia and Hyundai provide the warranty to make the brand more attractive, without it they wouldn't sell as many units. BMW, Merc and Audi already have constant sales and an established brand with repeat customers. Not many will go from German to Korean when buying a car.

Toyota lost a lot of ground in the market a few years ago so need to try and win back buyers.

And there in is the nub. It's brand value not the quality of car that swings it.
From my own experience the Koreans have really upped their game and are producing cars that almost match the Japanese, with much better value for money than nearly every brand from all countries.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
replacing the nearly worn out run flats at the back would easily be £500+.
/QUOTE]

What!!! £500 for 2 tyres when you did you last buy a new tyre and what has the BMW got gold plated side walls.

Try National tyres or ATS to check online prices

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site

The 'grey pound', in these parts, is being spent in greater amounts with Korean manufacturers... Even by those that have previously indulged in German marques... I sort of get that if leasing warranties aren't such a big concern... But, if purchasing, there's something more reassuring with multi year warranties...

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
And there in is the nub. It's brand value not the quality of car that swings it.
From my own experience the Koreans have really upped their game and are producing cars that almost match the Japanese, with much better value for money than nearly every brand from all countries.

I am not and have not disputed the value/cost equation regarding Korean or other nations manufacturing. Actual product value is irrelevant if the brand is weak.
Kia Stinger GT is one of the best cars out there pound for pound. But still woefully outsold by AMG, BMW M and Audi RS models which cost over double. Simply because the brand is weak.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
The 'grey pound', in these parts, is being spent in greater amounts with Korean manufacturers... Even by those that have previously indulged in German marques... I sort of get that if leasing warranties aren't such a big concern... But, if purchasing, there's something more reassuring with multi year warranties...

In that area yes, but nationally still outsold by German and French product that may or may not represent batter quality (for a given value of quality).

I ain't saying that's how it should be just that brand is more powerful when it comes to certain products over value/quality.
There is another thread about Apple computer products. IMO poor compared to windows based productivity systems but much stronger brand.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
B service due on my Merc. 35k miles, so gear box oil needs changing, and axle oil too. B service is the big service.

Luckily I have one service left, pre paid by the previois owner.

I booked it in yesterday, and was quoted £1600 + VAT and parts. Holy cow. That is a lot of money.

Those main dealers take your eyes out, take it to an Independent Merc dealer and save a fortune

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Drove the car to a dealership to get it valued.. 10 mins before I reached... 'Engine Oil at Minimum, Top up urgently' message starts popping up!!.. how typical.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Drove the car to a dealership to get it valued.. 10 mins before I reached... 'Engine Oil at Minimum, Top up urgently' message starts popping up!!.. how typical.
Have you actually spent any money on maintaining this car whilst you've had it? :eek:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why would you not check and top the oil yourself on a regular basis?
Surely thats page 1 of owning a car?
Well it is in my book anyway:)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am not and have not disputed the value/cost equation regarding Korean or other nations manufacturing. Actual product value is irrelevant if the brand is weak.
Kia Stinger GT is one of the best cars out there pound for pound. But still woefully outsold by AMG, BMW M and Audi RS models which cost over double. Simply because the brand is weak.
TBH your conparisons are rather stretched. The German brands you list are the factory race end and a marque on their own, whereas Kia has no such level.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why would you not check and top the oil yourself on a regular basis?
Surely thats page 1 of owning a car?
Well it is in my book anyway:)
I've never checked or topped up oil in my 30yrs of driving. I get it serviced at the correct time, if there is a leak the warning light will come on. I've never had a car that drinks oil so it has not been a problem.

Before you think I'm a complete neanderthal I regularly check tyre pressures 👍

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've never checked or topped up oil in my 30yrs of driving. I get it serviced at the correct time, if there is a leak the warning light will come on. I've never had a car that drinks oil so it has not been a problem.

Before you think I'm a complete neanderthal I regularly check tyre pressures 👍
Oh....... well having had plenty of VW vans and a few Skoda's, I know the diesels all use oil for the first 20k miles or so. To rely on the oil light appearing isn't advisible really.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh....... well having had plenty of VW vans and a few Skoda's, I know the diesels all use oil for the first 20k miles or so. To rely on the oil light appearing isn't advisible really.
I'm on my 2nd skoda and never had an issue. I have heard some like to drink oil but mine have always been okay. If the light came on I'd top up straight away, I wouldn't drive it and let bad things happen.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm on my 2nd skoda and never had an issue. I have heard some like to drink oil but mine have always been okay. If the light came on I'd top up straight away, I wouldn't drive it and let bad things happen.
Perhaps you only do low anual miles, but having had about 8 VW Transporters, 1 Octy, 1 Superb and 2 Fabias, they have all used oil with the Transporters needing quite a bit during the run to the first 20k service, which is about 8 months for me normally. After about 20k miles, they slow down to minimal oil use. The Singsong Tivoli my wife had also used a little oil, but was much better than the VW's
The only engines I have had that haven't used oil are petrol engines, my daughters Ibiza, my wife Yaris and my Mazda3.