Captaincy: what was involved with yours?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
@KenL and I have had a couple of posts back and forth about captains and whether they should get courtesy at other clubs. We were debating how much they do and how much they spend in their year to justify the courtesy offer.
That got me thinking that I've only got experience of my times at a proprietary club, and a couple of captains I know who spent a lot.
So, my question is: what did you do in your year as captain and how much did you spend? Or if you haven't done it at your place, what have captains done?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Two thoughts....the roles of Captain varies widely from club to club. It can be effectively the CEO of the club, a ceremonial figure head and all points in between. Our club moved away from the former, towards the latter. I know in the previous incarnation some folk spent thousands on hospitality during the year.

They hosted dinners, paid for drinks at various things and prizes on captain's day etc

Secondly, I've always taken the view that "courtesy of the course " to visiting captains is a traditional form of reciprocal respect to the office.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not been a captain but seen captain's at work. I don't recognise the need to spend money, that has not been necessary. The captain has had a social budget and if socials go well that budget increases. At my current club there has not been socials so that has not been relevant at all. Different clubs may have different experiences of course.

What I do appreciate is the amount of time given by captain's. At some clubs it is way too much of a commitment, people were sickened by the end of the year. Again, at my current place the commitment is more modest but it is still a decent amount of time.

For me then, based on what I've seen, the commitment is time, not money.

Talking to captain's they have seen the courtesy as a bonus. Nice to get, not expected.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Watched my dad do it twice, once at a 100 year old members club and once at a modern, high end, proprietary club.

He put in far too much time and effort at both imho, not to mention how much he spent at the bar/social events!!! financially his budget at the members club was set in advance and didnt represent how far over and above he went compared to previous imcumbents (he basically did the work of 10 years CEOs not to mention a huge VAT reclaim etc), the proprietary club supported him far more throughout the year as the year developed. That said they treated him badly like everyone else not long after when they went into administration and then reappeared not long after....

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been Captain twice at my club. Due to our size and structure the financial outlay is not huge....membership fees are waived for the year and any financial outlay on the part of the Captain is largely to support the events that generate money for the Captains chosen charity. Typically the Captain will spend an amount equivalent to maybe 0.7 - 2x what his membership fee would have been for the year....this is based on my experience and that which I have observed in others....some folks use it as a bit of a free ride for the year, some folks make a genuine effort to make a positive contribution to the club and to support fundraising events for their nominated charity.

As has been mentioned in other posts...from my own point of view, the time I put into the club far outweighed the financial impact to my own pocket....especially in my 2nd period of Captaincy which coincided with both the rise of Covid, and the introduction of the WHS. Other Captains have displayed greater or lesser (I don't mean this critically....its largely an onerous and thankless role and I have no ideas about the personal circumstances of other Club Captains that might dictate how much time they can give) commitment.

Nobody should take on the role of Captain for the kudos/glamour/prestige of the role. Take it on if you feel you can make a difference, if you can contribute something positive, without your own ego getting in the way.

I never got courtesy of any club/course....I frankly could never imagine rocking up at a course somewhere and asking for courtesy because I was Captain of a small obscure club tucked away in a quiet corner of Suffolk. I was even embarrassed one day when I inadvertently turned up on spec, at a prestigious local course over the Christmas period, when my own course was closed, and being offered a reduced rate because I happened to be wearing my Captains Jumper!!! I now never wear said jumper when playing away courses, as I do not want folks to think that I'm wearing it to send an unspoken message saying "give me a discounted/free round!!

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had the covid year at a club that was part of the Crown Group and then moved into different ownership during the year. Tons of liaison between members and management, trying to do the best I could in difficult circumstances. Got none of the normal Captaincy benefits and moved to Devon to prevent the chance of a more normal second year.

But I am proud to have been asked, voted in and done the role. Just wish there could have been more good personal memories.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
People pay their own cash when being a captain to host stuff? That sounds absolutely crazy.
This is a throwback to the old days when being Captain was a prestige thing. At my Club 50 years ago a lot of the members were wealthy self employed business men who could well afford to be Captain. It was tradition that the Captain bought a round of drinks at each committee meeting, provided lavish prizes at Captain's Day & laid on a Captain's Day dinner for all his close friends & their wives. A lot of them tried to outdo their predecessors & this put off a lot of people from taking on the Captaincy.

Eventually, the club introduced a rule whereby anyone elected Captain got a free year's subscription & this had the effect of encouraging people to put themselves forward. We still have the old Captain's traditions, but on a more sensible scale.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
This is a throwback to the old days when being Captain was a prestige thing. At my Club 50 years ago a lot of the members were wealthy self employed business men who could well afford to be Captain. It was tradition that the Captain bought a round of drinks at each committee meeting, provided lavish prizes at Captain's Day & laid on a Captain's Day dinner for all his close friends & their wives. A lot of them tried to outdo their predecessors & this put off a lot of people from taking on the Captaincy.

Eventually, the club introduced a rule whereby anyone elected Captain got a free year's subscription & this had the effect of encouraging people to put themselves forward. We still have the old Captain's traditions, but on a more sensible scale.

This is very similar to how it has been at my club over the years.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I have been asked in the past to take the Vice Captaincy at ours, moving on to be Captain the following year, and politely declined. As I had already served on the committee, I saw the huge burden on the Captain, primarily from the moaning elements of our membership, and decided it wasn’t for me.

Financially the outlay would have been largely limited to Captain’s Day prizes, but in terms of stress the outlay would have been massive. No thanks.

The Fader

Visit site
We are a reasonably progressive proprietary club. The captaincy whilst an important role does not carry quite the same prestige and responsibilities as that at a private members club.

Captain's membership fees are waived for their year in office and most incumbents have been happy to re-direct what they save into things like Captain's Day, supporting the Juniors and generally standing their round more often than most. But there is no obligation to do this nor expectation of any additional financial input so that the captaincy is open to any member who wishes to be considered for the role regardless of their own personal financial position. Willingness to put in time and effort is the quality that we most value in a potential captain not the depth of their pockets.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think many years ago it was a prestigious accolade and was seen as honour. It could be beneficial in business too and opened doors. These days I'm not so sure and it seems like two years of hassle (including the vice year) and expensive

D

Deleted member 23270

I think many years ago it was a prestigious accolade and was seen as honour. It could be beneficial in business too and opened doors. These days I'm not so sure and it seems like two years of hassle (including the vice year) and expensive
Depends how prestigious your club is.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
People pay their own cash when being a captain to host stuff? That sounds absolutely crazy.
I'm shocked at that as well. Had no idea that would happen. If by some miracle I was ever asked to captain my club later in life, if I knew I'd have to shell out for things out of my own pocket then I'd politely decline. I know there's a bit of work to put in but just assumed any cost outlay would be covered by the club.

Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm shocked at that as well. Had no idea that would happen. If my some miracle I was ever asked to captain my club later in life, if I knew I'd have to shell out for things out of my own pocket then I'd politely decline. I know there's a bit of work to put in but just assumed any cost outlay would be covered by the club.

I don't know how it works at other clubs but in my places case the major personal outlay is during Captains Week where we have an entire week of competitions where very single penny of the entry fees goes towards the Captains Charity. The Captain is responsible for buying all of the prizes for the week...and we are not talking like dishing out boxes of mid range balls here or an umbrella there or a slightly undersized discounted polo shirt from the pro shop. It does vary by Captain as I previously alluded...but some make a real effort to provide quality prizes through the week. Any other events outside of Captains Week that the Captain wants to put on in order to raise funds for charity would also be funded out of his own pocket.

The Captain doesn't have to fund stuff that would normally be funded by the club....its not like he is being asked to put his hand in his pocket for stuff that doesn't benefit the charity.

Again...this may be different at other clubs, but the Captain gets his membership free for the year. So its not like he loses out financially....unless he chooses to spend more (or less!!!).

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Two days left of my Captaincy but stuck in the house with Covid so can't really enjoy them. Can't even attend the AGM to hand over.

At a guess, I have spent about £2k during my term. I have played a few courses with courtesy, mainly local though as I haven't had the time to look elsewhere.