Can't Stop Pulling the Ball

AddisonRoad

Visit site
Hi Experts,

I recently took a lesson, and it's taken me back about a year (somehow) - it shattered my confidence, and suddenly I can't stop pulling the ball left (I'm right-handed). I went to the range today, and I'm continuing to pull the ball. I've tried to keep the clubface open longer, etc., but nothing seems to be working consistently. It's so frustrating as this wasn't an issue beforehand. I understand that it's hard to help without seeing a video of my swing, but I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and if there were any drills or specific actions that were helpful in eliminating it? At this point, I'm so demoralized that I'm willing to try anything - and I might as well follow a few suggestions before I pay for a lesson with another pro!

D

Deleted member 3432

Hi Experts,

I recently took a lesson, and it's taken me back about a year (somehow) - it shattered my confidence, and suddenly I can't stop pulling the ball left (I'm right-handed). I went to the range today, and I'm continuing to pull the ball. I've tried to keep the clubface open longer, etc., but nothing seems to be working consistently. It's so frustrating as this wasn't an issue beforehand. I understand that it's hard to help without seeing a video of my swing, but I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and if there were any drills or specific actions that were helpful in eliminating it? At this point, I'm so demoralized that I'm willing to try anything - and I might as well follow a few suggestions before I pay for a lesson with another pro!

Body not turning.

Question is are you forgetting to rotate as you're thinking about something else or are you getting in a position where hands have to get involved as a compensation.

AddisonRoad

Visit site
Body not turning.

Question is are you forgetting to rotate as you're thinking about something else or are you getting in a position where hands have to get involved as a compensation.

Thanks for your response - this could definitely be the issue (and I imagine it's becuase I'm so focused on other problems and forgetting to rotate). Is pulling due to lack of rotation normally a problem stemming from poor rotation in the backswing or downswing (or both)?

D

Deleted member 3432

Thanks for your response - this could definitely be the issue (and I imagine it's becuase I'm so focused on other problems and forgetting to rotate). Is pulling due to lack of rotation normally a problem stemming from poor rotation in the backswing or downswing (or both)?

You're going to struggle rotating on downswing if you haven't rotated going back.

I would be very wary about getting advice from those that haven't seen your swing and don't know your swing tendencies.

Personally I would be looking for a follow up or two with your pro, unless you are a very good player and it is a minor tweak any changes you work on need monitoring as all sorts of other things can creep in.

If you go down that route post a video of your swing on here and listen to Bob mac who is a PGA qualified pro if he comments on it.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I had this, as is usual, at the range today. I remembered reading somewhere that, at the start of the downswing, the hands need to go vertically downwards as the body turns. It seemed quite effective but I ran out of balls before I could try it a lot. Will give t another go tomorrow. Pretty sure my guru, Jim Hardy, advocates this in "The Plane Truth"

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi Experts,

I recently took a lesson, and it's taken me back about a year (somehow) - it shattered my confidence, and suddenly I can't stop pulling the ball left (I'm right-handed). I went to the range today, and I'm continuing to pull the ball.

How far left is it going?
Left half of the fairway, left semi rough, deep rough or trees?

I had this, as is usual, at the range today. I remembered reading somewhere that, at the start of the downswing, the hands need to go vertically downwards as the body turns.

I know the theory but I'm really not a fan of that drill unless it's supervised.

D

Deleted member 1147

Is it a good strike?

I had an issue with hitting a pull, and still occasionally do. After a trackman session it turned out that my hands were closing too early, and hence I hit the ball with a closed clubface.

So I was given several warm up/ practice routines including:

- hitting half swings with a split grip, a hand's width apart
- try hitting drivers off the deck

Last edited by a moderator:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I get the pulls (or any other fault) first thing I do is a 'back to basics'. Check the grip and check club face alignment. Best way to check club face alignment is to take the grip and hold the club so the shaft is horizontal straight out in front of your eyes where it is very easy to see if the club face is open or closed. Next thing I do is check my ball position, with a driver (for me) this is just inside my left heel or even 1" inside the left heel best check with some sort of alignment aid or another club, I would also have a club checking my feet are are parallel to the target line and checking shoulder knees etc are all parallel to the target lie.

It is only when I know that all of this is correct would I work on swing mechanics.

First thing is to understand what produces each type of shot shape simply based upon the flight shape.

A pull is basically a club coming from the outside of the line with the club face closed at impact and the ball going dead straight without any curve so it is this two tings that need to be corrected
1. Club square at impact
2. Swing path either sligthly inside to out or dead straight through impact.

The drill I use for this is to place another ball, a piece of foam such pipe insulation/ pool noodle on the back swing and down swing path a couple of inches behind the ball placed just such the club does not hit on the either back or down swing.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk

A pull is basically a club coming from the outside of the line with the club face closed at impact and the ball going dead straight without any curve so it is this two tings that need to be corrected
1. Club square at impact

The clubface is closed in relation to the target line but square to the swing path. Sometimes all that is needed is to adjust the swing path, or, as @bobmac says aim right if you do it every time!

AddisonRoad

Visit site
When I get the pulls (or any other fault) first thing I do is a 'back to basics'. Check the grip and check club face alignment. Best way to check club face alignment is to take the grip and hold the club so the shaft is horizontal straight out in front of your eyes where it is very easy to see if the club face is open or closed. Next thing I do is check my ball position, with a driver (for me) this is just inside my left heel or even 1" inside the left heel best check with some sort of alignment aid or another club, I would also have a club checking my feet are are parallel to the target line and checking shoulder knees etc are all parallel to the target lie.

It is only when I know that all of this is correct would I work on swing mechanics.

First thing is to understand what produces each type of shot shape simply based upon the flight shape.

1. Club square at impact

The drill I use for this is to place another ball, a piece of foam such pipe insulation/ pool noodle on the back swing and down swing path a couple of inches behind the ball placed just such the club does not hit on the either back or down swing.

Thanks for the advice on the club face alignment - I will try this out today. I have always used a strong grip, which I assume can cause a closed club face. But I haven't had this issue in the past (and I haven't recently made my grip stronger). I'll also give this drill a go at the range. Thanks again everyone for all the thoughtful advice - it's much appreciated.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
1. Club square at impact

I would suggest only one change.
If the clubface is square to the swing path then just change the swing path.
I would suggest aiming right and let the swing go where it wants to go.

D

Deleted member 1147

Interested to hear how this helps.
I’m plagued with a massive pull left only with my driver, been battling a few years now.
You can’t turn your hands over too much and hit a driver off the deck.
You have to keep the the club face square or it goes low & left.

AddisonRoad

Visit site
Played a round today (only played on the course as a friend is moving to Australia and we had this booked in ages ago), and safe to say it didn't go well. Hooking left even more than before - I think my confidence is shattered. Need to go see a new pro and try and work through it! Thanks again for all the advice - I'll try some of the tips from this thread on the range!

D

Deleted member 23270

Biggest cause of a pull is coming over the top trying to hit the ball too hard. Try to feel your right shoulder coming under your chin.