can you overthink at golf?

lynchy76

Club Champion
Visit site
Have been playing golf this season got my handicap down from 18 to 15 from March to June and was quite happy with the way I was playing. Then started looking at loads of tips, trying new things out at the range with my setup and swing and my handicap is now back up to 17. I am striking the ball worse than ever and the game is starting to frustrate me. Do you think I should just create my own style now and stop over complicating the game to much, to many things are running through my head when about to take me shot.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always find just after reading tips my game goes a little,however working hard and practicing these new things can in the long run be beneficial.Keep working at it and you will come out the other side a better player.To answer your question,yes you can over think things.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
In answer to the OP ....
Oh God yes. Yes you can and most of us do.

I try to think about as little as possible (not tricky for me!) and let the natural swing take over.

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find getting the breathing right during the swing one of the hardest things to do. I always end up thinking about inhaling and exhaling at the correct times.

The_LHC

Head Pro
Visit site
I find getting the breathing right during the swing one of the hardest things to do. I always end up thinking about inhaling and exhaling at the correct times.

Really? I don't think I've ever done that, except when someone does that old chestnut of asking you if you breathe in or out on your downswing! I'm not aware I'm breathing at all to be honest.

I went through a phase of reading every tip that said "ADD TEN YARDS TO YOUR DRIVE!" a couple of years ago, as if I didn't overswing enough. Sure enough it ruined my game AND had the added bonus of really knackering my lower back, to the point where I couldn't play in cold weather. It's better now but still gives me grief at times.

Then there's over-thinking a shot, I do that sometimes, hit exactly the shot I'd conjured up in my head and only afterwards realise it was completely the wrong shot to play.

A

Alex1975

I think about my golf alot, maybe more than most. the times i play the best are when i dont think too much about it and let it flow though i still think i need those games when i do think alot.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I try to avoid thinking too much during "performance mode". It's best to relax and let *it* happen. Sometimes *it* is good, other times bad. Learn to practise with thinking and playing without too much thought.

DCB

Visit site
paralysis by analysis , a perfect phrase to sum up our self induced problems.

I once spent 4 days at a summer coaching school where I could almost pull of any shot I liked. It was incredible. I was even playing driver off the deck and hitting a green at 250yds.

On the fourth day we took it to the course for real. Took me three months to get over that and to learn to 'play' golf again :eek:

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
paralysis by analysis, a perfect phrase to sum up our self induced problems.

Too right. I over-analyse, but never on the course.

Hell; once I start slicing, I just go with it.....

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
paralysis by analysis, a perfect phrase to sum up our self induced problems.
Almost literally in my case on one occassion.

Can remember one time when I was working on something following a lesson, I was in a comp and my head was so full of thinking where my hands were that my swing virtually seized up and I ended up hitting about 12 inches in front of the ball.

What I try and do is have just one "swing thought" on the course. I think I got this is from a Nick Faldo book. Just find one thought that works for you. Mine is just to think about getting the club pointing at the target at the top of my swing. This helps me complete the backswing and stay on plane. This came from a lesson with our pro who suggested this to counter my tendency to swing too flat and quick.

I do think you have to be careful about trying to adopt too many of the tips in the magazines. These aren't a substitute for a lesson where the pro will make sure you are doing what you should and will show you the right drills to get the feel of what you should be doing. Also a good pro won't get you doing too much at once.