Can you be a good putter and but not hole many putts?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Something i thought about last night, i've generally thought that i was a reasonable putter (dont often 3 putt etc) but I dont feel as though i make my fair share of putts.....

Views?

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Something i thought about last night, i've generally thought that i was a reasonable putter (dont often 3 putt etc) but I dont feel as though i make my fair share of putts.....

Views?

until recently i've always been like this, i'll hole the occasional 15/20 footer but feel like I never gave them enough of a go.

However I rarely missed anything under 8-10 foot, this meant i very rarely 2 stabbed.

Recently though i've been the total opposite. I'm holing a fair amount of 15+ foot putts but i'm struggling with anything 3-6 foot!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would then put you in the solid putter category rather than good.

In ranking terms I would have it:

Awful
Poor
Solid
Good
Excellent
Jordan Speith

To be a good putter you have to hole a decent number of putts, it's the name of the game. I bit like a striker who doesn't score goals. Ultimately that is what you are judged on. Incidentally, don't take this as criticism. I am in the poor to solid category.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm like this, very rarely 3 putt but don't hole an awful lot of distance either. i will sink the occasional one, but it's not a regular occurrence. This is mainly because I tend to die my putts in the hole, so when I miss I have a tap in.

I did try to be more aggressive last year but started 3 putting far more than I was making putts. So went back to safe and stress free. I tend to average about 30 putts per round this way which is good enough for me.

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think you can be a good putter without holing many putts. I know when you watch Pro's play they dont always one put, they two put a lot of the time or 1 put because their short game is really good. As said above by Westy, 30 putts or less a round is good in my book. If you make a GIR and 2 put its a par, Pars at our level are good enough to bring your HCP down if youre getting them more often than not!

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
My answer would be no. If your a good putter your a good putter. That means leaving lags to 2 and 3 ft at which distance a good putter will rarely miss... Also getting your fair share of clutch putts when needed.
My goodrounds usually have between 28 and 32 putts anything after that is bad.

It's all about pace rather than line. If you pick the right line but wrong pace your missing 9 out of 10 times.

Also most amateurs miss low as well. Always try to miss high. A putt hit high has always a chance of going in.

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My answer would be no. If your a good putter your a good putter. That means leaving lags to 2 and 3 ft at which distance a good putter will rarely miss... Also getting your fair share of clutch putts when needed.
My goodrounds usually have between 28 and 32 putts anything after that is bad.

It's all about pace rather than line. If you pick the right line but wrong pace your missing 9 out of 10 times.

Also most amateurs miss low as well. Always try to miss high. A putt hit high has always a chance of going in.

really? so as long as the pace is right the line doesnt matter? obviously its about both and their relationship, need both on putts with any sort of break!

as for OPs question, not for me no, good putters hole putts, simple as that, short term a good putter can have a few days where nothing much drops but not long term imo

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
really? so as long as the pace is right the line doesnt matter? obviously its about both and their relationship, need both on putts with any sort of break!

as for OPs question, not for me no, good putters hole putts, simple as that, short term a good putter can have a few days where nothing much drops but not long term imo

Im just cr*p then. ;)

To be fair i think its highlighted by the fact i hit so many greens in reg and give myself a lot of 20ft putts. whereas some other people will often have 6ft putts as they have chipped to there.

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
I feel as if not enough attention is being paid to 4-putting. A 3 putt gets all the headlines but I've had my fair share of 4 putts recently. It's all in the mind because I was royally cheesed off for them all, but they do happen!

But then again I was asked if I was selling my putter by the greenkeepers who watched me elegantly chip in on the 13th two rounds in a row.

Swings and roundabouts this game. :confused:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always try to miss high. A putt hit high has always a chance of going in.

I don't understand that. Why would that be the case? I always took high to mean right of the hole, low is a pulled putt to the left. Am I wrong? Unless a slope is involved I can't understand the statement.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's a difficult thing to quantify
Number of putts doesn't work well as we know.
Length of putts holed isn't bad but you may have a low number as youve left 25' OK on every green and lagged the first putt to a foot..
Certainly 3 putts should be as few as possible, but even then, sometimes taking 3 putts might not be a bad deal.
If you're 120 set away you'll do well to get down in 2.
I had a good putting day last week - 29 putts but 16 of them were from within 9 inches....5 lip outs - bad putting or bad luck??

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I think you can have an excellent putting technique but still not hole many putts because you can't read the green. Or vice versa, know exactly how the putt needs to roll, but mess it up because your clubface is not square at impact or you push or pull your putts etc.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
a look at my stats on HDID sees my putting as absolutely atrocious, it has me down at 40 ,yep 40 putts per round average.
i play off 14 and cant remember the last time i shot over 90 on my course ,and i regularly shoot high 70`s in knockouts and bounce games .
i do embelish my scores on HDID so that is where my stats come from .
if i could putt i would be single figures easily according to my stats .but i cant so im not.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
don't know, tough call !

guy i play with is pretty steady and never 3 putts.. he's often called the plummer. but in saying that he does make a fair few birds when he is inside 5 feet

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't understand that. Why would that be the case? I always took high to mean right of the hole, low is a pulled putt to the left. Am I wrong? Unless a slope is involved I can't understand the statement.

Sorry. To clarify. A breaking putt right to left for example should be missed high for a right handed player. As in the high side of the break not the low.
If you miss your putts on the low side all the time and the putt will never have a chance of going in.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Im just cr*p then. ;)

To be fair i think its highlighted by the fact i hit so many greens in reg and give myself a lot of 20ft putts. whereas some other people will often have 6ft putts as they have chipped to there.

Worth double checking your expectation levels Sam

Jordan Spieth holes 1 in 8 20 footers. Keegan Bradley 1 in 50!!!! I expect youre somewhere in between ;) Tour average looks to be about 1 in 12 or so
http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02429.html

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry. To clarify. A breaking putt right to left for example should be missed high for a right handed player. As in the high side of the break not the low.
If you miss your putts on the low side all the time and the putt will never have a chance of going in.

I understand and get your point. Makes sense :thup:

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going back to the original question. Can you be a good putter but not hole many putts.

I think you can be. Certainly if you play at a course with bad bumpy and uneven greens, like they are during the winter, then there's going to be more luck involved than putting on a smooth true running surface.

I know over the winter at my place it was just pot luck from anything over 2ft, nothing was holding it's line and could quite easily bounce of either way, and often did.