Can I take out my bats and play now?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've been working on my grip and swing for quite a few sessions now and have a few questions which I'd like some input on, if you'd be so kind.

My practises have mostly been with a Leadbetter grip attached to an old 6 iron (Titleist 695) and I've also been practising a "challenge" set by Bob for me to stop swaying so much. (It was out of hand :eek:)
He recommended finding something to use on a range mat that would be like swinging within an umbrella on grass - I know you'll get the idea.

First 2 sessions - 6i iron ONLY with Leadbetter grip
next 2 sessions - two 6i's - mine and the grip one
next two sessions - two 6i's, 8i, PW
today - both 6i's, 8i, PW, 5 wood.

So, I've hit 800 balls and swung the club(s) probably 2,000 times. At first, I couldn't hit even 1% straight, but it's coming.

1) I've noticed I can only get the face square with my new grip if I hold the club extremely lightly, like 2/10 :D is this too light?

2) Out of the 800 balls, almost none start left, some draw and push, some push/slice :( - is my path like permanently set to in-out?

3) The Leadbetter grip 6i has a DGS300 - is it normal for these to have much less height?

and finally....

4) If I can't string two decent shots together at the range - Can I take out my bats and play now? :D :D :D

Cheers. All comments (including those on my sanity) gratefully appreciated :rolleyes: :D

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
YES!!!

Get off the range, get on the course and start playing golf.

Everything you learn on the range will need adjusted to play from different lies, above/below feet etc.

Not once have you mentioned the most important part of the game. Getting it in the cup. Pointless getting a straight drive and perfect iron shot onto the green if you then take 4 putts to get it in.

Give the range a rest take those bats and starting actually playing golf.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not once have you mentioned the most important part of the game. Getting it in the cup. Pointless getting a straight drive and perfect iron shot onto the green if you then take 4 putts to get it in.

Give the range a rest take those bats and starting actually playing golf.

Um...um...I doubt my short game's gone in 8 days. :D

I take your point though. :p

I just don't know if I can remember ever actually stepping on a course knowing that 100 could be in the offing, apart from the first year or two I suppose but that was last millennium :D

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do it. What's the worst that can happen?

If it's rubbish and obviously needs more work then take some more range time before you take it to the course again, but I can't see 9 or 18 holes setting you backwards at all.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do it. What's the worst that can happen?

This is what I've been thinking, but the trouble is if I start slashing my way around the course into trees down the right/OOB and all that jazz, I might cheat and go back to my old grip.

So, can I stick to the proper grip and not be tempted when I'm a million over par after 9 holes? :eek: :D

Dave1980

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Dave,

I have been practicing with the leadbetter grip over the last couple of weeks alongside a couple of lessons and my first comp since using the new grip, I shot a net 68! The Pro has told me that the Leadbetter grip will set you up more neutral and stop you from hitting the ball left. It feels terrible to use on the range and I can hit many S****S in a row, but as soon as I have a normal club in hand everything feels a lot better!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dave,

I have been practicing with the leadbetter grip over the last couple of weeks alongside a couple of lessons and my first comp since using the new grip, I shot a net 68! The Pro has told me that the Leadbetter grip will set you up more neutral and stop you from hitting the ball left. It feels terrible to use on the range and I can hit many S****S in a row, but as soon as I have a normal club in hand everything feels a lot better!

Cheers Dave.

I got in the car to hit the course on Sunday and turned round at the first roundabout to come home. :eek:

Instead, I hit another 100 and then another 100 this morning. I was determined to play today and just finished 9 20 mins ago.
Bogey, par, par, par, par, par, bogey, par, par. All the par holes (apart from one) were basic GIR stuff.
I only hit two bad slices, and they cost me 2 shots. 17 putts, one up'n'down.

I think the Leadbetter grip is certainly on the side of neutral or even a little weak. I'm going to stick with it for as long as I can bear it.

Thanks for your interest....it's been hard work, but the results are coming! :)