Can I expect a ESR?

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
My last three club competitions have seen me hit a little purple patch of form, and in them I most recently hit a round of 83 for 67 in the weekend medal for my third successive cut.

My last three competiton rounds have been 85 (67), 84 (68), 83 (67) with results in those competitons being 2-3-T2. CSS for the three rounds were 71, 69, 71 respectively.

I've been cut from 17.6 at the start of those three rounds to 14.9 current, but wondered if I'd be hit with an ESR on top of the playing cuts? I'm not sure how the system works in that regard and whether I'm in line for one. I'm not in for a stableford cut, as none of the rounds had anything worse than a nett double on the card so can't be adjusted.

Hopefully I can keep this little run of form going! :)

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think you have to shoot 4 under to get an ESR marker, then again to activate a cut.

I don't think you are in line for an ESR.

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Didnt think Scotland were trialling the ESR, if that's the case no.

To be honest, I'm not sure if this is the case... but I noticed that Dave (Virtuocity) has an ESR marked in his sig, so I'm a bit confused as to whether ESR has made it way up here or not based on what I've been reading elsewhere online.

I could do without the cut, as its club championships in a fortnight and I don't want to be giving up too many strokes. ;)

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
2 rounds 4 under CSS and 1 round 1 under is a 2.7 cut, If you had CSR in Scotland you would have got an ESR for 2 rounds of 4 or more under CSS.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well played but as the others say no ESR in Scotland and i wouldn't get your hopes up for annual review either. I know quite a few they have had good years at different clubs and one even came down 8 shots over the summer... no review.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well played but as the others say no ESR in Scotland and i wouldn't get your hopes up for annual review either. I know quite a few they have had good years at different clubs and one even came down 8 shots over the summer... no review.

Happened to me last year. Came down 3.6 in 3 comps over 2 weeks including a 5 under and 4 under CSS. No ESR and no cut in the Annual Review.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Annual review uses a quite different algorithm to select candidates for cuts (or increases)!

As others have stated, no ESR in Scotland. however, your Handicap Sec may decide that a cut is due and do the equivalent!

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be honest, I'm not sure if this is the case... but I noticed that Dave (Virtuocity) has an ESR marked in his sig, so I'm a bit confused as to whether ESR has made it way up here or not based on what I've been reading elsewhere online.

I could do without the cut, as its club championships in a fortnight and I don't want to be giving up too many strokes. ;)

Firstly, well played. Takes me back to that glorious 8 weeks where, by complete accident, I played like a decent golfer.

Secondly, I didn't get an ESR. As others have pointed out, these don't exist it Scotland. Absolutely crazy IMO. Particularly for Cat 2 and 1 players who really need to shoot low to make dents into their HCP, given they are only cut by 0.2 and 0.1 per stroke under net par of CSS.

I received a 'General Play' reduction after winning a Stableford comp, scoring a net 60 in the next medal and then winning a midweek medal. No software involved in triggering this, just the whim of a handicap secretary, no doubt influenced by a number of people 'concerned' about my appearance at the top of the leaderboards that month.

Not to say that I disagree with the cut, in fact, I had already emailed the sec advising him that I was playing well (after winning two comps) and that I would be happy to receive an additional cut. The only criticism that I have is the apparent inconsistencies of General Play reductions.

I've heard many times of those who are friendly with Handicap Secs asking for a reduction- ego handicappers to the extreme.

Anyhow, well done again. I can only suggest that if you honestly believe that this good standard of golf is here to stay, then you inform your handicap sec, let him/her know and leave it up to them.

DCB

Visit site
As FD said, ESR isn't used up here, if you're handicap Sec is doing his job, he should be taking account of things and using normal existing process to deal with scores like this.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
A lad at my course got cut rom 17 to 11, he played Saturday comp, played a blinder, then he played mid week medal and got cut again, both through just paying very well and well below his handicap, as a result the HC committee cut him again, he's now back up to 13 and many successive 0.1's

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's good to know.. :thup: .. suppose I'll be in the firing line at annual review though. ;)

I can't claim to have ever fathomed the mysteries of the annual review. Suffice to say I've never been cut at one. I think if your handicap has been coming down in comps anyway the AR won't kick in. Seems to be people consistently in or just over buffer without getting many cuts that come down in AR. That's purely anecdotal, however!