can I convert my putter

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a scotty square back putter ( face balanced) and wondered if I could slap a longer shaft in it to make it a belly putter. Ive heard people say that it will through the balance off but the ping nome putter has the same head in both versions. Can it be done?

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd say yes so long as it was a centre shafted model.
You may need to add some weight to the head as the heavier shaft may make the head feel lighter.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Will a longer shaft not affect the lie angle quite badly?

Will it also need the weights in the head changed for lighter ones?

Key thing will be getting the length right though.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ping Nome Standard length head weighs 355gm; Belly length head weighs 405gms. Achieved using tungsten weights in the sole.

That would indicate that a similar adjustment would need to be made for the Squareback.

Seems a waste of one of the few Scottys I like!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ping Nome Standard length head weighs 355gm; Belly length head weighs 405gms. Achieved using tungsten weights in the sole.

That would indicate that a similar adjustment would need to be made for the Squareback.
J
Seems a waste of one of the few Scottys I like!

I love this putter too. Ive been using my friends belly putter with great results but he's back after injury and wants it back.

On the lie angle side, why would it have to be changed? I know its longer but your posture and hands are in the same place.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love this putter too. Ive been using my friends belly putter with great results but he's back after injury and wants it back.

On the lie angle side, why would it have to be changed? I know its longer but your posture and hands are in the same place.

more importantly - if you need to change weighting or lie, just do it.