Can anyone identify this spider? (Warning to arachnaphobes - picture enclosed)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Was in the loft, pulled back some of the insulation and this spider crawled out:
spider.jpg
I'd say it was about 2-3cm long (including legs).

Is this a "false widow"?

Didn't fancy it in the house, so ejected it outside.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Definitely False Widow. Looks like a female. They can have upwards of 200 eggs. Nasty bite, if it manages to sink it’s teeth.
OK, thanks. It took a bit of catching amongst the insulation, so probably lucky it didn't nip me.
Question is, how did it get in the loft, and how many more of the blighters are up there? ?
Could be worse - at least I'm not in Australia.

RichA

Visit site
They're pretty common. I often find them in our house and practice catch and release. I haven't been bitten yet. It's supposed to be about on a par with a wasp sting.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
OK, thanks. It took a bit of catching amongst the insulation, so probably lucky it didn't nip me.
Question is, how did it get in the loft, and how many more of the blighters are up there? ?
Could be worse - at least I'm not in Australia.

Our pet spider is a wolf spider. He/she is pretty much full grown. We see it around the house, usually in the lounge and usually this time of year. Size wise, inc legs, a bit smaller than the palm of my hand. Proper big hairy thing it is.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Spiders are cool. Do a great job for us. Nothing over here will kill you so don’t worry about it. If you have to move it. Catch it in a glass and move it outside - Don’t kill it.
That's exactly what I did with it (and with all spiders that are a bit too big to feel happy about giving them free run of the house). But I sometimes wonder if putting them outside might not do them any good - especially if it's cold.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That's exactly what I did with it (and with all spiders that are a bit too big to feel happy about giving them free run of the house). But I sometimes wonder if putting them outside might not do them any good - especially if it's cold.
Don't worry. They might be back inside before you are ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When we were motorhoming it in Queensland back in 2019 a huntsman spider decided it rather liked our motorhome and joined us for a few days.

I’m not good with spiders and the idea of it appearing over my shoulder as I was driving, or by my head in bed did not thrill me…managed to move it out after a few days…and yes…I know they are thought pretty harmless by Aussies but I think that that might be relative in Aussieland terms… and the size of the critter…?

028BC9B0-B94F-4AB7-A106-D852A56E624E.jpeg

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
When we were motorhoming it in Queensland back in 2020 a huntsman spider decided it rather liked our motorhome and joined us for a few days.

I’m not good with spiders and the idea of it appearing over my shoulder as I was driving, or by my head in bed did not thrill me…managed to move it out after a few days…and yes…I know they are thought pretty harmless by Aussies but I think that that might be relative in Aussieland terms… and the size of the critter…?

View attachment 46107
I think the clue in the name is more than enough for me..........
Creamer-cornstarch-flour-flamethrower-fire-weapon-1-1280x720.jpg