Can anyone help a brother with a wedge?

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I bought the Mizuno MP53s and now trying to sort out my wedges

My irons were fitted at 1 inch longer and 2 degrees upright in a Stiff Dynamic Gold XP shaft (S300)

My new PW is 46 degrees, so I am looking at either getting 50/54/58 or a 52 and 58.

I hit my PW 120 yards and a 49 degree 100 yards, I love a club that gives me that 100 yard distance so want to stick with a 49/50 degree. Dont really play to many flop or lob shots, I tend to go for a bump and run/pitch whenever I can.

My questions are:
1) I want a high bounce wedge to use for my sand wedge, am I correct in thinking that for either of those above setups the 58 with a high bounce is the right wedge to use over and above the 54?
2) What type of adjustment would be recommended for the wedges? Should I also make them 1 inch longer, 2 upright and go with the same shaft for consistency?

I do like the Mizuno wedges, a little unforgiving at times and perhaps a little limited in terms of the bounce options, so I would definitely consider going with another brand for the wedges

Appreciate any advice

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
1) I have a 50/54/58 set up but have the 54 as the high bounce club of the 3 and the 50 the lowest with the 58 mid bounce

2) My clubs are 2 degrees up and 3/4 inch longer. I used to have my wedges adjusted the same and also have the same shafts put in (6.5 rifles) however I found the shafts made the wedges feel very light and werent as responsive as I would like. I have recently changed back to standard wedge flex shafts and am much happier

With regards to which wedge its a personal choice as to which you like, personally am a Vokey fan but theres many decent wedges out there

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Fundy...thanks for your post, some questions:
1) So do you use the 54 for the sand?
What bounce have you gone for?
2) If you use the 54 for the sand, what are you using the 58 for and how much use are you getting out of it? Trying to figure out pros and cons there

3) So you have kept the length of the shaft and the lie angle the same as your irons, but used different shafts and different flexes?

I was leaning towards the Mizuno wedges because of the iron set being the same, but Vokey and Cleveland have loads more bounce/loft options. I will definitely be trying them before I buy, but I want to know what specs I need and just as importantly, whether I need the 58?

I defs need the 50, but if I up the bounce on the 54 and I use that out of the sand, then do I need the 58?

Thanks

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Are you able to try a few before you decide?

A lot of people swear by Vokeys and a lot say they're too heavy. I wouldn't know as I've had mine since I started playing again so nothing to compare to.

I have 52-08, 56-11 and 60-04

The 52 I use from 60-75, 100-115 and little chips around the green.
The 56 is 50-60, 80-95 and 99% of my bunker shots.
The 60 is just for flop shots and the very occasional bunker shot, but I find it digs into the sand too much (I know it's bad technique on my part).

I have them 2° flat the same as my irons and with the same shafts, but that was only because I ordered them all at the same time. I don't know if it would matter if they were just standard, I doubt it.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fundy...thanks for your post, some questions:
1) So do you use the 54 for the sand?
What bounce have you gone for?
2) If you use the 54 for the sand, what are you using the 58 for and how much use are you getting out of it? Trying to figure out pros and cons there

3) So you have kept the length of the shaft and the lie angle the same as your irons, but used different shafts and different flexes?

I was leaning towards the Mizuno wedges because of the iron set being the same, but Vokey and Cleveland have loads more bounce/loft options. I will definitely be trying them before I buy, but I want to know what specs I need and just as importantly, whether I need the 58?

I defs need the 50, but if I up the bounce on the 54 and I use that out of the sand, then do I need the 58?

Thanks

The 54 has 10 degrees of bounce and yes I use this from the sand, I dont mind using the 58 if I need to ge it up over a lip quickly.

The 58 I use for full and 3/4 shots but also for chipping around the edges if needed.

Unlike most, I chose my wedges based on full shot distances more so than covering all the bases around the green.

My wedges are upright as per my irons, but they are normal length and have wedge flex shafts, having tried various combinations this is what works best for me. I found lengthened wedges werent ideal for pitching and chipping hence have the current ones at standard length

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I guess the standard length is going to help with a more steep attack on the ball, which is better for a wedge. So either keep it standard length or just a little bit longer sounds like a good plan

Still not sure about going with the 54 over the 58 as a sand wedge

Generally speaking, when I am in a bunker, its on the fairway or next to the green, from the fairway I just use a regular iron and take it off the top, but next to the green I would think that a 58 is better so that you can get it up high and stopped quickly. Having said that, I always get it out, but often it comes up well short