Can anyone beat this bottle-job today?

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I currently play off 19 (19.1 exact). Today I scores 21 points on our more difficult front 9. 5 pars 2 bogeys and 2 doubles. Get off to a decent start on the back 9. Standing on the 13th tee, 4 under net. Go on to NR 13, 14, and 16 while parring 15 in between.

Finished on 36 points. With 3 NRs, 2 1 pointers, and 2 doubles on the card I can’t help but think this was a massive chance of a 40+ pointer, a nice handicap cut down to my season target of 18, and a bit of money and I ruined it, because there’s no way I’m making 8 pars again any time soon 😂

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m capable of making 8 pars. The holes I NRd I didn’t actually lose a ball, I was in play from each tee. Short game, putting, and decision making are the difference between a decent round and an outstanding round for me at the minute.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Only you really know the real answer to what you learnt today.

Poor course managment, poor club selection, knowing your score and letting it affect you, but whatever it was, work on it, remove it from the equation and crack on, it’s gone now, just like the last bad hole always is, move on and that round to get cut will come, of its own accord.

Take the positives, don’t harp on the negatives.

Linksguru

Visit site
Without doubt the thing that got me down to where i am at the moment (15 after playing since last may) is playing bogey golf when i was off 19(my first handicap)
i was told to look at a bogey on every hole as a par, changed the way I approached each and every hole on our course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's still a good round and the more you get into that sort of position the more you'll learn how to handle it. I suggest you started thinking too much about what you could score and started swinging defensively and trying to steer the ball round.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I clearly remeber one of the first times I got way ahead of handicap. I had scored well before but they included a late round point haul.

I stood on the 16th tee with 36 points, I don’t know how or why i knew that but I wish i had not at the end. I walked off 18 with the same 36 points...

Learnt a lot that day about getting the job done.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You play off 19 for a reason (I play off 21). When I tee it up I am capable of scoring a birdie on any hole (distance is not my weakness) but I am more capable of a double bogey.

At our level it’s about consistency. If you play at a course regular then you will have parred every hole at some point I
am sure.

We just do not bring it all together for a full round.

Look at the round from different angles. On the first you would take 36 points with 8 pars so job well done.

Had you started bad and finished well you would be much happier now

Had you had the bad holes spaced out you would also have been happier

Take the good out of what you did before anything else

Then think about why you had the bad holes

A few years ago I was playing well. Pars and bogeys all the way. Playing to safe areas, centre of the green etc. For once the ball was going where I wanted. I got ahead of myself and went flag hunting. I turned a mid eighties round (hadn’t broke 90 at that stage) into a mid nineties round. Now for I know the wheels might have come off anyway but my lesson was learnt. My point is did you do anything different? If not enjoy a good round and the great rounds will come

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You play off 19 for a reason (I play off 21). When I tee it up I am capable of scoring a birdie on any hole (distance is not my weakness) but I am more capable of a double bogey.

At our level it’s about consistency. If you play at a course regular then you will have parred every hole at some point I
am sure.

We just do not bring it all together for a full round.

Look at the round from different angles. On the first you would take 36 points with 8 pars so job well done.

Had you started bad and finished well you would be much happier now

Had you had the bad holes spaced out you would also have been happier

Take the good out of what you did before anything else

Then think about why you had the bad holes

A few years ago I was playing well. Pars and bogeys all the way. Playing to safe areas, centre of the green etc. For once the ball was going where I wanted. I got ahead of myself and went flag hunting. I turned a mid eighties round (hadn’t broke 90 at that stage) into a mid nineties round. Now for I know the wheels might have come off anyway but my lesson was learnt. My point is did you do anything different? If not enjoy a good round and the great rounds will come

Great post mate 👍🏻It pretty much echos everything I was saying to my PPs afterwards. Offer me 36 points with 8 pars on the first and I’d bite your hand off. But to get my handicap down, I need better at some point. You’re quite right. I have parred every hole in the course. In fact, just checked my stats on howdidido and I’ve birided 12 of the 18.

As you say. There can be good 36 points, which I’ve had recently where I’ve scored 14 points on the front 9. Then followed up with 22 points on the back and felt great. But there can be bad ways to make 36 points like yesterday.

Again, you’ve eluded to what I was talking about with my mates. If the NRs had happened more ‘spaced out’ it wouldn’t have been so bad. The annoying thing was they came from nowhere. It’s not like I was starting to get a bit dodgy strike-wise. So walking off the 14th level par, when I was standing on the 13th tee 4 under, was very annoying and I my thought process was “well I only have 4 holes to get something now”.. then I parted the 15th, so back on track. Good tee shot down 16 which I normally struggle with. Left a 7 iron short. Duffed two pitches then came away with another Nr. I was surprised I managed a bogey-par finish after that 😂

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I clearly remeber one of the first times I got way ahead of handicap. I had scored well before but they included a late round point haul.

I stood on the 16th tee with 36 points, I don’t know how or why i knew that but I wish i had not at the end. I walked off 18 with the same 36 points...

Learnt a lot that day about getting the job done.

That’s the annoying thing though. At no point did I get ahead of myself, I was going around nicely and it was one of those days where it just felt so easy. I concentrated when I needed to but relaxed when I needed to. I dont think I changed my approach i.e being more conservative where id previously been more aggressive or vice versa

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
That’s the annoying thing though. At no point did I get ahead of myself, I was going around nicely and it was one of those days where it just felt so easy. I concentrated when I needed to but relaxed when I needed to. I dont think I changed my approach i.e being more conservative where id previously been more aggressive or vice versa

As pointed out, you just had your bad holes in succession at the end of a round.

I’ve had rounds swing 5 or more shots to the better between 9s many times. 36 points over 18 holes is a good day out, even if all the points came on the first 15 holes. I learnt that the hard way.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds to me like you knew how well the round was going on the 13th tee and thought subconsciously if you finish with a set of 2 pointers then it's job done. So that negativity can get into your head without you knowing it and the positive attitude you had for the first 12 holes goes.

Obviously I was not there and have no video highlights of what happened between holes 13 to 16, so it is hard to say what exactly happened to you for 4 holes. I have gone on a lot on other thread regards to sorting out your golfing brain, so will not go on too much about it know. But if playing aggressive is what got you into a a good position then keep being aggressive. If your a cautious player then keep playing that way. If your an aggressive golfer then you have to accept that bad holes will happen and do not worry about them.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m quite good at not thinking about my score until I’ve played 18 holes.

Generally, the times I think about it too much are where I’m not actually playing that well and I’m scrapping.

I haven’t had too many big bottle jobs. If I ever get to 36 points with holes still to play, I relax and enjoy it and generally score very well.

I once reached 37 points after 16 holes when I was off 17, and finished birdie, birdie to take the twos pot and 44 points overall.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Also good at not thinking about my score until the end. I don't want to know. You know if your playing well, average or poorly in general. Last Saturday for example I had 16 on the front. I knew I was having a good back and at the end if i was to guess I would have said 22/23 but it was a 26.

I never think about it and NEVER add it up during the round

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I have had your round four or five times this year and quite frankly i was goin mad. Spoke to our greenkeeper who plays off 1. He said the more i put myself in that position the more that round will come. It did. I shot 40 points and went down From 20.5 to 18.9. Then played next round in BZ. What i have learned is once an hole is blobbed theres niwt you can do about it. Dont take it to the next.
Worst round was having 34 points stood on the 15th. I finished with 4 blobs. Best days swearing i have ever had.
When i shot 40 points i s ored 10 points on the last four. It will come. 👍

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I reckon we have all been in a position of messing up a good card I know I have many times most recently 6 over after 16 then 2 triple bogies to finish. Take heart that you are getting into those positions there will be times when you complete the rounds well.

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have had your round four or five times this year and quite frankly i was goin mad. Spoke to our greenkeeper who plays off 1. He said the more i put myself in that position the more that round will come. It did. I shot 40 points and went down From 20.5 to 18.9. Then played next round in BZ. What i have learned is once an hole is blobbed theres niwt you can do about it. Dont take it to the next.
Worst round was having 34 points stood on the 15th. I finished with 4 blobs. Best days swearing i have ever had.
When i shot 40 points i s ored 10 points on the last four. It will come. 👍

Yeah that’s the view I’ve kind of taken. I just need to keep getting in those positions whilst putting the same effort into practicing etc as I have been recently and surely it’ll come good.

Today for example. I scored 32 points and had 3 NRs again. The NRs came on different holes today. Yesterday’s NRs that cost me we 13, 14, 16. Today I scored 5/2, 3/3, 5/2 respectively. Very frustrating.