Camcorder

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
The other day, HID just happened to say that it might be a good idea to have a camcorder. Not really sure why but my first thought was great idea. I would be able to use it when practicing.

I know virtually nothing about video cameras so any advice as to what to look out for/avoid, frames per second for viewing swing, recommendations, etc would be most welcome.

Realistically I can't see it being used an awful lot for holidays, family stuff, etc so would not be looking at the higher end of the price range.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you are planning to use it for filming your swing and playing it back on the V1 system, go for the mini cassette format
The others are just too much hassle

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why not just get a decent digital camera? Only need to carry one piece of kit around with you to do both jobs, simply upgrade the memory card from the cr4ppy one they come with and there is plenty of storage - think mine will do about 40 mins of film.

Very easy to upload and edit on the pc too!

£300 quid would buy a lot of digital camera!

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion but I already have a digital camera that suits my needs but is rubbish for video. Getting another one is not an option - particularly at the £300 mark.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
No Bob. I've only had my Nokia 6301i brick for 10/11 years and it still does everything I require of a phone - make and receive calls and something called "text" I believe :)

Redwood. That Casio certainly looks to be a great bit of kit but not really what I was after, I think :D

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Leftie, look at the Casio EX FH20

TimBridle was using one yesterday at Ascot, and he posted up some footage on YouTube (see the Ascot thread on the Arrange a game section).

I was going to say, if you'll use it to analyse your swing a lot then it's great having the ability to record half-decent YouTube quality videos at 210 fps, to slow it down seven times for viewing. It also does half-HD videos with sound at normal speed, and has a fairly decent zoom. Nor bad for taking snaps either, and has lots of settings for aperture and exposure and ISO and stuff.

Cost me about £300 a year or two ago, so I'm sure you can pick them up cheap. (Casio do several high-speed cameras actually, some of which are really small.)

golfinger

Hacker
Visit site
I recently purchased one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flip-Video-Defin...8417&sr=8-1

I have to say it's been an absolutely fantastic buy.

I can mount it on my golf trolley (with a gorilla pod) to record my swing (discretely) in the heat of battle, great at the range, and it's been great for the family too (I even took it into the delivery suite at the recent birth of my son...I'll spare you the footage)

It's very low tech in terms of features and functionality, and it could do with a shake stabiliser (or whatever the term is) but it fits in my pocket, records in HD and has amazing sound quality.

Oh yeah, and I put 30-40 yards on my drive after analysing my swing on the first two holes with it.

Cheap as chips too!

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for your responses guys.

Camcorder
Mobile phone
Do everything stills camera with H/S video
Flip

Totally :D :D now

Will have to give it a bit more thought :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks for your responses guys.

Camcorder
Mobile phone
Do everything stills camera with H/S video
Flip

Totally :D :D now

Will have to give it a bit more thought :)

Dam, I left the camcorder in the car
Dam, I forgot to charge the camcorder.
Dam, left the camcorder at home.
Dam, the wife's got the camcorder.

But, I have got my radio/mp3 player/5mp camera/video camera and it's a touch screen phone as well.
You've seen the quality of video and at 120 fps it's crystal clear and at under £100, you cannot go wrong.
And its small and light and easy to use. And you can surf the internet.
And you've had your old phone for 10/11 years.
You owe it to yourself and no-one here would deny you've suffered the old brick for long enough.
It's a no brainer :D

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
But, I have got my radio/mp3 player/5mp camera/video camera and it's a touch screen phone as well.
You've seen the quality of video and at 120 fps it's crystal clear and at under £100, you cannot go wrong.
And its small and light and easy to use. And you can surf the internet.
And you've had your old phone for 10/11 years.
You owe it to yourself and no-one here would deny you've suffered the old brick for long enough.
It's a no brainer :D

I see where you are coming from Uncle Bob but....

I've got a radio/mp3 player, as has HID

I've got a 4mp digital camera that does video but not good enough quality for HID's expectations

I have got a laptop with wi-fi (as has HID) that uses internet connection that I already pay for (sorry :eek:, for which I already pay) so why do I need another device that does the same and have to pay again?

My old phone has dropped several storeys from scaffold on several occasions and is still going strong and will probably outlast most modern phones, is pay as you go, and probably costs me no more than £40/50 pa. It also slots into a hands free cradle in the car that would have to be replaced for a newer phone.

Each gizmo adequately suited to our requirements - apart from reasonable quality video for golf swing analysis oops, sorry, family piccies
:)

Confused of Bromley.... :D :D :D :D :D

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Each gizmo adequately suited to our requirements - apart from reasonable quality video for golf swing analysis oops, sorry, family piccies
:)

Confused of Bromley.... :D :D :D :D :D

I bought a "bridge" digital camera which does video of "family film, cough, cough, (swing analysis)" superbly.
My camcorder is redundant.

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I reckon you want something like this thing .

Ok, you'll need the memory card, but it looks like it could be fun to play with on holidays, family meets, etc, and you can also 'effortlessly' upload your golf swing to youtube.

Don't know how they define 'effortlessly' when it comes to technophobes like me ( and I suspect that includes you too ).

But the advantage of Comet is that you can go instore and get them to show you how to use the blimmin thing.