Which driver shaft do I need?

Rivermanii

Visit site
Living in rural Scotland I have no easy access to a fitting for a new driver. So I’m needing some basic advice on the best shaft for me, stuff, regular etc.
I play off 10, I’m 49, not a fast swing speed, more a rhythm player if that makes sense. Any advice would be very welcome.

Rivermanii

Visit site
It’s a regular but I just bought it off eBay and seems to do the job (callaway rogue) but I’ve damaged it (rattle somewhere I can’t find lol)
So for example, looking at Ping G430 and there are so many shafts to choose from, not just regular or stiff

Kennysarmy

Visit site
I guess any shaft expert is going to want the following information.

What is the exact model of the damaged shaft?

What is your ball flight? High, low, perfect?
What is your miss? Left/Right

Also, why not just replace the shaft with the exact same model?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
My swing speed has declined over the last 10 years due to advancing decrepitude. I recently changed to a 40 gram, senior flex shaft. Wasn't fitted for it, just trial & error. You would expect from a light, bendy shaft a high ball flight, poor dispersion & excessive backspin. None of these are in evidence. I hit it pretty straight with a lovely rainbow ball flight. Tried it on a simulator against my previous shaft & the results were surprising. No significant increase in swing speed but the ball was carrying further due to lower backspin. At £74 the shaft (see my signature) is a bargain & I'm keeping it in the bag for the foreseeable future.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s a regular but I just bought it off eBay and seems to do the job (callaway rogue) but I’ve damaged it (rattle somewhere I can’t find lol)
So for example, looking at Ping G430 and there are so many shafts to choose from, not just regular or stiff
The rattle is probably just some glue from the adapter fitting that’s come loose.
it won’t cause any trouble just a bit off putting.
you can remove it by taking the grip off ,it should just fall out.

The stiff Alta cb that is standard with the G430 is a very good counterbalanced shaft and not too stiff.
but it’s impossible for us to tell you what to buy with little or no info.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

There are two possible causes for the rattle I know of and it is easy to identify which It might be.

1. Take the shaft off the head tip the shaft up and down and if you hear something running up and down the shaft it is loose epoxy which can be got out next time the club is gripped.

2. Making sure the the screw is held tight shake the head. If the noise is coming from inside the head it is loose hot metal glue (used to swing weight the head) nothing can usually be done about this.

My personal experience of the Ping Alta CB shaft is that it plays on the soft side of regular and when fitted the fitter went with stiff for me* (3 wood G425)) ( I am not a fast swinger and with most shafts I would opt for regular. It is very easy to pick up Ping shafts on Ebay, in my experience, if you opt for the wrong one or just want to try a different one.

* I originally went for one of the other offerings in Regular but switched it the stiff Alta.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Where in Scotland?

If you are going to bite the bullet and buy a new driver I'd try and get to a people shop and at least try a few.
I tried the Ping 430 a couple of weeks ago, and was suggested the heavy reg shaft, I think itvwas a 70g shaft. I'm currently using a stiff 55g. Plus a new driver is going to set you back £460 for the Ping.

MiurasFan

Blackballed
Visit site
Almost certainly loose epoxy in the shaft imo. So likely a much cheaper fix than a new driver! The new grip exercise could be avoided by cutting the top off, removing the offending glue and gluing the top of the grip back on.