Camcorder recomendations

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
After reading the video your swing posts and the swing analysis post, I'm quite keen to video mine (no I won't be putting it up for disection ;)) So looking on evil bay for a camcorder I was totaly confused by all the choices.

What do I need? How much will get me a half decent one? Can they be tripod mounted?

It will probably only be used for the golf swing, so I don't want to break the bank.

Over to you guys.....

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It depends how you want to view the swings
If you want to view them through golf software, you will need a Mini DV cam. The hard disk cams wont work. They can be converted but a pain in the bum
If you can get a Mini DV cam with a fast shutter speed that will be good enough for around £150 and you'll need a firewire card.
If your just going to view your swings on the cam or tele, try and get the fastest shutter speed you can get.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Cheers guys.

I was hoping to use the V1 software (already downloaded and played around with)

Will this not link straight up with the camcorder with a USB cable?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As far as I know, most come with a firewire cable to be able to transfer the data quickly to your PC, then you can go to the range with your latop and instead of peering through the cameras viewfinder, you can watch the live picture on the V1

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Cheers Bob..

My next question was going to be "whats a firewire" :D

So I need..

Mini DV Cam, with fast shutter speed and a firewire..

Anything else I need to look out for?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Will you be filming outdoors on grass or in a covered driving range?
A firewire cable is a fast way of sending info. If you look on your laptop instructions, it will tell you if you have a firewire connection.
It's different from a USB slot. About half the size

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have a bog standard fujifilm camera with a movie setting. HID just stands there with her finger down during my swing and there it is. It saves onto the memory card and I just download using the Finepix software that came with the camera. I then just cut and paste into a folder on my PC under "my pictures" and then when I load V1 software I click on the open icon (green folder) and pick the swing from the my pictures folder. Dead easy.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fast shutter speeds & a tripod are essential. If any of you are into SLR photography, chances are you may have a decent Tripod anyway.

Off to read the instructions of my Sony Hi-8 DV camcorder, to see if that has what I need, now I've downloaded my software.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you dont have much room behind the swing to film, you can get a cheap wide angled lens which works brilliantly.
It just screws onto the cameras lens

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Seems a lot of effort. You've seen the results of my little camera and it seems to do the job perfectly well. I'm training HID to hold the camera more steady (there will be trouble if she don't!!) and the downloading is quick and easy as is playing it in V1

Barney

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers guys.

I was hoping to use the V1 software (already downloaded and played around with)

Will this not link straight up with the camcorder with a USB cable?

It will be the PC its not linking to not the V1 software. I was having problems getting Vista to recognise my Sony Handycam until I found the below link to allow my Sony handycam to link via USB cable.(It does work on V1 as i have tried it)
Im sure there will be the drivers on the net somewhere for which ever camcorder every one has.

http://www.camerahacker.com/myink/ViewPa...sta%20Via%20USB

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seems a lot of effort. You've seen the results of my little camera and it seems to do the job perfectly well. I'm training HID to hold the camera more steady (there will be trouble if she don't!!) and the downloading is quick and easy as is playing it in V1

Best results apparently are when the camcorder is at waist height.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a Sony mini DV....cheap and cheerful....under £150 two years ago.

I send the files down a firewire cable to my laptop. I came with some other cables, but not the firewire.

Don't waste your hard-earned on a cable from the shop, you'll get murdered. They can be had ever so cheap.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130528

A card for a PC is
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/125607

and there are laptop ones too.

My HP has it in-built.