Callaway Upro MX+ ... Is it still worth buying?

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
I know that Callaway are set to pull the plug on updating this, rendering it largely obsolete by the end of the year, but for someone who is looking for cheap GPS, would you still recommend it?

Having had a recent lesson, and now working to implement the changes, conversations with mates have related to getting to know exact yardages for clubs as one of my (many flaws) is club selection and even though I'm reasonably good at judging distance by eye, I can often come up either half-a-club short or long and put myself in trouble.

So it occurs to me that knowing more precisely where I am distance-wise on the course may help shave a stroke or two.

I'll be putting a Garmin (or similar) on the Santa list, but looking for something to fill in the gap meantime. I've been looking at the Callaway Upro MX+ on Ebay, and they're available around £50-60 depending on seller, and while I know that after 2014 they'll no longer be supported by Callaway, and so no course updates etc, as a stop-gap and at the price quoted would you be liable to recommend it at the quoted price?

I'd certainly not want to spend more than around £60-£65 for something that I may only get limited use from, but if it helps in that time to shave a stroke or two off my handicap...

Or do you think it isn't worthwhile to shell out, and just to wait for the jolly fat man in the red coat to bring me a Garmin instead?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think it depends on whether the courses you play are on their list AND not going to be changed - like adding bunkers, ponds, ditches etc.
To be honest, for a few quid more, you might be able to find a Garmin G3 - I got one brand new for £100 last year.
Or search for a Skycaddie Aire - available for 100 quid and no fees

niwintz

Hacker
Visit site
I bought one if the Callaway Upro MX+ and it works fine, I would just double check your course and othecourses you play are on it. I find it very accurate on my course and any others I have used it on.