callaway sure out wedge

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Looks like a pretty cool wedge on the way from Callaway. Hank Haney has been working on a wedge designed to be forgiving and easy to use around the greens and especially bunkers.

They have come up with the sure out.

Nice big sole so you can let the club glide along the ground eliminating fat shots in dry conditions unless you go to extreme lengths to dig the leading edge in.
They have included a bit of heel and toe relief to open the wedge up should you want to without raising the leading edge.
Grooves right across the face helping spin with shots anywhere on the face.
Nick taken out of the hozel to make it appear less shankable.

A lot of these things you may have seen on those ads for the 'magic wedge', never duff again infomercial but the reality is, this stuff works. People think you can't use big sole high bounce wedges off tight lies but that isn't the case. You just shouldn't open them too far if it raises the leading edge. Keep it square, hit a fraction behind the ball and it will slip in and pop the ball up nicely.

Now for the bad. Haney said they made these wedges with higher handicap and better players in mind. More leaning on the former. Why or why did they make the wedge in only two lofts. 58 and wait for it, 64. Now I know its for getting out of bunkers but no way does many high handicaps want to be looking at that much loft.

Anyway hope this design does well and more lofts come out. Looking forward to trying the 58 at least. I'm sure a few on here might be tempted once Mr tradman gets his mitts on one and gives a review.

Crawley1981

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would love to give this a go as even as someone who is meant to be relatively good at the game i still dread the bunker shot. So much easier when no pressure on in the practice bunker. No way would i be wanting a 64 in the bag though.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think low handicappers also don't want that much loft.

In the end loft like that actually helps high handicappers as it masks other faults if used in the way they do use them.

If they were used properly they are just blade shots every time but when used "incorrectly" this isn't the case.

A lower handicap's technique maximises the loft of "acceptable" lofted clubs so don't want 64

It's hard know when a high hacapper should or should not play a very high lifted club. Wait to see how much loft masks their less solid technique I guess.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I have one and it is a lot of fun. I take it when practising short game but in reality there is simply no room in my bag for it.

It probably improved my ability to flop with lower lofted clubs as they are no laying down with as much loft.

There just isn't enough circumstances in a round of golf that I would need a 64.

It does flip a ball out of a bunker well though. Requires hitting at speed which someone lacking technique or confidence will not apply unfortunately.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anything to help in the sand would be great, it has ruined a few really good rounds for me recently.

I could 20 out of 20 onto the green out of a bunker when practising, but on the course with a bit of pressure, I often need 2 or even 3 shots to get it out :(

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Had a Ben Hogan Sure Out wedge many years ago......:thup:

I've certainly seen one used very effectively by an otherwise 'decidedly average' golfer!

Callaway owned the Ben Hogan brand (later selling it and it has now filed for bankruptcy), so has had access to designs and names (like Apex), so not an entirely new concept - just a new release and some marketing imo!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've certainly seen one used very effectively by an otherwise 'decidedly average' golfer!

Callaway owned the Ben Hogan brand (later selling it and it has now filed for bankruptcy), so has had access to designs and names (like Apex), so not an entirely new concept - just a new release and some marketing imo!

makes the video above pretty laughable really if it is just a rehash on the ben hogan one

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Damm. Now I have to buy one of these Hogan sure out wedges. Comes in a 60 and 6 degrees of bounce. With the fat sole that sounds ideal for links.

At the very least I have to try it. :eek:

Think with these new ones there will be more bounce and the sole is improved.

I have a vokey k grind with 11 degrees. Big sole. Its a great wedge but I've always wanted a bit of relief off the back. If I knew someone handy with a grinder I would get it done.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Damm. Now I have to buy one of these Hogan sure out wedges. Comes in a 60 and 6 degrees of bounce. With the fat sole that sounds ideal for links.

I have a vokey k grind with 11 degrees. Big sole. Its a great wedge but I've always wanted a bit of relief off the back. If I knew someone handy with a grinder I would get it done.

The hogan sure out was a great club
So was the Macgregor EZ-Out (forged too)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

one on ebay for £20 + postage, saves me from buying it if you do :)

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was getting quite excited until you said about the lofts. I am desperate to find a good wedge for chipping which is my main weakness, but I would be much more comfortable with a 52.
I like the big sole and the grooves right across the face. Like others I do sometimes like to chip out of the toe end to take some pace out of the chip which allows me to strike through the ball and eliminate quitting on the shot. I have never really understood why most manufacturers don't cut groves all the way across the face.