callaway sure out wedge

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have the 64 deg version which I bought for a laugh. The plus side is that it is stupidly easy to hit and will get out of a bunker with ease. You do have to trust the loft and swing hard and that took a bit of getting used to however it's not a cure all and it can turn into the longest club in the bag if you mis-strike it and knife it 150yrds down the adjacent fairway.

I'm still not sure it has a regular place in the bag for my home course as we don't have that much sand and there isn't a huge amount of danger around the greens that requires the he club however I can see me taking it out for away matches etc

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have the 64 deg version which I bought for a laugh. The plus side is that it is stupidly easy to hit and will get out of a bunker with ease. You do have to trust the loft and swing hard and that took a bit of getting used to however it's not a cure all and it can turn into the longest club in the bag if you mis-strike it and knife it 150yrds down the adjacent fairway.

I'm still not sure it has a regular place in the bag for my home course as we don't have that much sand and there isn't a huge amount of danger around the greens that requires the he club however I can see me taking it out for away matches etc

Do you use it around the green at all?

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was intrigued (and desperate to improve my play around the green) and bought the 58. Around the green it is stupidly easy to use. Just forget all chipping technique you have ever learned, set up neutral with hands level to the ball and swing through concentrating on brushing the sole along the ground (forget the leading edge) and it just pops the ball into the air.
For chipping up on to raised greens or over bunkers etc or even if you just want to play a high pitch / chip it is fantastic. The first time I used it I hit the flagstick (a fluke) you just have to have the confidence to swing though and not stab it.
I just need to work out how to hit different distances with this new club especially how far full shots go, which is where I guess it's weaknesses may be exposed.
For easy chips with plenty of green to work with, decent lie and no obstacles I will just use a less lofted club and my normal technique, but for everything else around the green it is already my go to club and it's certainly staying in my bag. Given the opportunity I would recommend to anyone to give it a try.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I was intrigued (and desperate to improve my play around the green) and bought the 58. Around the green it is stupidly easy to use. Just forget all chipping technique you have ever learned, set up neutral with hands level to the ball and swing through concentrating on brushing the sole along the ground (forget the leading edge) and it just pops the ball into the air.
For chipping up on to raised greens or over bunkers etc or even if you just want to play a high pitch / chip it is fantastic. The first time I used it I hit the flagstick (a fluke) you just have to have the confidence to swing though and not stab it.
I just need to work out how to hit different distances with this new club especially how far full shots go, which is where I guess it's weaknesses may be exposed.
For easy chips with plenty of green to work with, decent lie and no obstacles I will just use a less lofted club and my normal technique, but for everything else around the green it is already my go to club and it's certainly staying in my bag. Given the opportunity I would recommend to anyone to give it a try.

Thanks for that Sweep. I have improved my bunker play in recent weeks and chip pretty well (chipped in on a par 3 yesterday after dropping from a water hazard) But I'm game for any club that will improve my overall scoring

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

What about from the sand?

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Does it help if you don't know if the ball has 3 inches of sand or 3mm of sand below it

that is my problem with bunkers, they are too inconsistent

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i got a 58 with a graphite shaft and i did not like it. Got a mackdaddy forged 60 wedge and it was easier for me to use for some reason.

D

Deleted member 23344

Sorry to bump this thread, but I’ve just bought a 58 degree and I want to find out what bounce it is ... but I can’t it anywhere on the web. Does anyone know please?

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry to bump this thread, but I’ve just bought a 58 degree and I want to find out what bounce it is ... but I can’t it anywhere on the web. Does anyone know please?
why does it matter? I’ve got one. It’s awesome from the sand, all you do is smash it as hard into the sand as possible. It works. I’d never use it off grass tho. It’s massive

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
why does it matter? I’ve got one. It’s awesome from the sand, all you do is smash it as hard into the sand as possible. It works. I’d never use it off grass tho. It’s massive

Hmm, why am I not surprised! Bunkers are easy street, its the 60 yard pitches that kill yo u.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've got a 64* Sure out and the flange is so big I don't take any notice of the bounce number. Unlike The Rod I've used in grass and reckon it's as good from that as bunkers

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've got a 64* Sure out and the flange is so big I don't take any notice of the bounce number. Unlike The Rod I've used in grass and reckon it's as good from that as bunkers
That recommendation is good enough for me....maybe. I don’t like using lift if I don’t have to though. I’ll give it a go, but it looks a bit unwieldy on ‘dry’ land