Callaway Supersoft Magna/Max

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For a couple of years, Callaway have produced a slightly larger version of their Supersoft ball called the Magna which, in the newly released version of the Supersoft ball, is now called the Max. It is 3% bigger (but still legal) than the standard ball and is designed for players, like me, with a lower swing speed. Apparently it goes straighter and the larger size is designed to provide confidence for, also like me, high handicappers.

I have used the standard Supersoft ball for some time and I’m thinking of giving the Magna/Max a go. Has anyone used it and, if so, how did you find it compared with the standard version. I appreciate most of you in here are single figure handicappers who drive it miles, but hopefully someone will have tried it.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
For a couple of years, Callaway have produced a slightly larger version of their Supersoft ball called the Magna which, in the newly released version of the Supersoft ball, is now called the Max. It is 3% bigger (but still legal) than the standard ball and is designed for players, like me, with a lower swing speed. Apparently it goes straighter and the larger size is designed to provide confidence for, also like me, high handicappers.

I have used the standard Supersoft ball for some time and I’m thinking of giving the Magna/Max a go. Has anyone used it and, if so, how did you find it compared with the standard version. I appreciate most of you in here are single figure handicappers who drive it miles, but hopefully someone will have tried it.
I don't use them myself(6 handicap), but one of the guys I play with uses them, he is a high handicapper and loves them, he says it's an optical illusion, being bigger does give him more confidence of getting the ball in the air

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It's not a new idea. Top Flite produced the Magna originally about 20 years ago and the Top Flite brand was bought by Callaway at one time so I guess they kept the rights to the name. I used to use them years ago as they were supposed to fly straighter due to the slightly larger size. I had a pretty variable game at the time but I can't see they made much difference then.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks Steve and Robster. One thing putting me off is that it seems a bit like cheating, although I know it’s legal. I might see if I can get a sleeve somewhere, as I don’t want to buy a dozen just for a test.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks Steve and Robster. One thing putting me off is that it seems a bit like cheating, although I know it’s legal. I might see if I can get a sleeve somewhere, as I don’t want to buy a dozen just for a test.

Be interesting to hear your thoughts. I think they will be harder to use in a cross wind or into the wind.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It is not cheating
Balls have a minimum size not a maximum size they do, however, have a maximum weight.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maxfli used to have a similar ball the Noodle+ my mate absolutely loved them .

One of the things about golf ball balls is that generally that the bigger the ball the higher it flies and that height may lead to a slight loss of distance. It was one of the big debates about using a 1.62 ball against a 1.68 ball back in the day.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Who???? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Those were the days....totally unrelated threads descending into debate over hole size!!!

I loved that threads. Come back delc or whatever his name was. ?

On topic, golf ball manufacturers must be close to being pulled up by advertising standards. How can EVERY ball released go further. ?