Callaway driver shaft length

NedPizza

Visit site
So I got my new driver last week and find that it is 3" longer than my old driver. What are the pros and cons of getting the new shaft shortened? or should I give it time to get used to the new driver.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That's a heck of a difference! Are both 'standard'? Or were you fitted?
What is/was the 'original' one?

NedPizza

Visit site
That's a heck of a difference! Are both 'standard'? Or were you fitted?
What is/was the 'original' one?

The old one is the Decathlon Inesis 100 in size 1. It was part of a set targeted to beginners and I found it quite easy to hit. The Callaway is standard off the shelf. Yes I too was surprised at the difference.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Try gripping it 3 inches lower down the grip for some time before going to the extreme of shortening it.

It does sound as if the Inesis was short to begin with though. Never heard of an adult club being given a size reference so it might been a juniors where sizing is common.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You will quickly find that you will hit the new driver a lot longer but far more erratic much to the detriment of your game.

The shafts in modern drivers are to long for most amateur players imo, I would get the hacksaw out ?

But don’t go cutting 3 inches off?. I’ve cut a driver down in the past by around 1 half inches , if your not confident of doing this a pro will easy do it, I play a shorter than standard shaft in my driver currently.

Try what Jim suggest for a few rounds and see how you get on.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Shortening the shaft will affect the weight, so be sure before you reach for the hacksaw!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If the driver is an adjustable one then you could find a 3 wood with a similar shaft and swap them over to see how it feels..or try a shorter driver shaft.. plenty available on a well known auction site...
Although you can lengthen driver shafts after shortening I believe a plastic extension of 2 or 3 inches would upset the feel of the shaft..

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Other option is to buy a cheap used shaft to the same spec off eBay with an adaptor fitted and the have it chopped and regripped. A few years back I went through a bad patch just as callaway launched a driver called fusion, it come with a shaft approx 2.5 inches shorter than standard which was aimed at club level golfers. It was very easy to hit and I ended up buying an exact spec shaft as I had in the xr16 and cut it to the same length as the fusion spec. It was good and I didn’t notice a change in swing weights. When it come to selling the driver I had a standard spec and fusion spec shafted I could off in the same model .(speeder 565)

The joys of clubs with removable shafts.

NedPizza

Visit site
Some great ideas, thanks!
I've ordered the same brand 3 wood as it has the shorter shaft so swapping over might be an option.

I've also bought the full set of irons and loving those except for the sand wedge, but time will tell.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some great ideas, thanks!
I've ordered the same brand 3 wood as it has the shorter shaft so swapping over might be an option.

I've also bought the full set of irons and loving those except for the sand wedge, but time will tell.
The 3 wood shaft might be slightly heavier than the driver shaft.
Most of us would not know any difference .
You might loose a few yards but your accuracy will improve.
That’s what I found anyway.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Like club champ has said, I find the heavier shaft along with the reduction in length slightly harder to load but hey this game is unique for sure. I’ve recently dropped my driver from a 65g to 50g and my 3w from 75g to 60g. It’s maintains the control but the lightness just seems to make it easier to load up.

Welcome to shaft tech, Ethan May be along shortly to completely blow your mind.