Callaway , Bridgestone v titleist

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There is a story going about with a couple of versions regarding the Pro v 1
1) Bridgestone are suing Titleist for using their patent of the golf ball which golfers know as the Pro v1

2) Callaway are suing Titliest for using their patent of the golf ball which golfers know as the pro v1 - they say it resembles the callaway blue

i know there was a similar post a short time ago about this subject but i have wondered since hearing about this accusation why the Pro v1 has excelled and is still the superior ball while Callaway and Bridgestone haven't?

if people think i am wrong well fair does but in my opinion and experience from playing with these brands confirm it.
eg Pro v1 from new, soft controllable feel, holds the green as advertised, and very duriable, lasts a full medal round and maybe 2 bounce games.

Callaway's premium ball HX Tour or Tour x, first two points from above are probably the same but the durability of this ball is terrible, you would be lucky to get a full 9- 11 holes before the ball starts to scuff and rip up.
yes i know the were talking about the callaway blue so why the step back and produce a lesser ball like the tour, call it your flagship ball while the pro v1 is still on the market for years and still out selling and the majority of tour players prefer it.
Does anyone on the forum got feedback on the Bridgestone ball or have any thoughts, opinions on this story?

T

thecraw

Bridgestone ar suing not for the ball tochnology but they claim Titleist have infringed copyright on there "seamless" cover on the B330 golf ball.

That ball is pretty poor in my opinion found it too hard.

Callaway balls I find just as durable as Tits. Would happily use both.

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Craw can i ask why are they just suing titleist and not the whole golf ball industry , arn't all golf balls seemless i am asking because i have never noticed

golfcitydweller

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
boabski,
iv`e tried the brids and it`s a good ball but it`s hard to find anyone selling them as good seconds...there`s a lot of guys that go out and find balls at st.andrews and i can get a doz of good pro vs for £6 ..makes the game a lot cheaper i can tell u ... :D

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
For a case that seems massive within the golf industry, the number 1 ball in golf being a rip-off from other companies, there seems to be very few decent articles on it both within the normal, golf and legal press.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
What I get my kill at is, just because someone comes up with the design and it happens to be similar to another brand, you’re not supposed to pursue that design. Maybe the design is similar but the dimple pattern is entirely different.

As is suggested, if Callaway have the patent on it then how come they’re not ahead of Titlist.

For me the Tilist is the number one ball. I use HX tours, NXT’s and others, but the Prov is easily the best. I think the skin of the callaway bruises too easy and that of course is a lot to do with what way each individual attacks the ball as I tend to come down hard on the ball with my irons.

That said, there are a lot of other good balls out there. A mate of mine hooks the ball quite a lot and he couldn’t understand the reason, well, apart from a crap swing. I got him to try Pinnacle gold balls…..no spin…..cheap as chips. He’s just started and he was using Provees and loosing them by the bucket load and was ready to give it in. Now he’s much happier, it’s giving him more confidence and when he gets better he can think of using balls that spin.

Too many players are playing the wrong ball, too many players are trying to get back spin while their tee shots hook or slice all over the shop.

Worse still, some player use proves because they feel they have to keep up with the rest………mad.

Oh, Titlist is what we say up here.

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
that's exactly what i am thinking TOMO in my mind if callaway have all the ideas why aren't the #1 ball.When i use callaway tour ball they cut up probably as you say the way i impact the ball but there is not the same deterioration when i use the pro v

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
i am usin big berthas at the moment, i love that ball, but as mentioned callaways seem to cut up so quickly. such a shame!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
As is suggested, if Callaway have the patent on it then how come they’re not ahead of Titlist.

because Callaway didn't invent many/most of the patents they own.
they bought up TopFlite, Spalding and I think one or two others to get the patents that they owned.

Callaway also infringed the 'Pro V1' patent which was owned by Spalding, but were smart enough to buy up Spalding when they went bankrupt.

Acushnet (Titleist) appear to have been 'paying less than full attention' to patents when it suited them (Bridgestone's as well - they settled out of court and Bridgestone get royalties) but weren't smart enough to get in first.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Viscount wrote “because Callaway didn't invent many/most of the patents they own.
they bought up TopFlite, Spalding and I think one or two others to get the patents that they owned”.

At first that seams plausible because they, Calloway, didn’t invent it.

No disrespect, but in my book that doesn’t add up to being unable to produce it.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
no argument TOMO.
I think it's the 'Rule 35' ball that's at issue. Callaway tried first, and produced a decent ball apparently, good enough that Titleist's tour players demanded that Titleist produce something to beat it. They did.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Several possibilities Parmo.

More money than sense.
Think that they can buy a game.
Play them if you find them (like me).
They might be a higher h/cap without using them i.e. got a good short game with them.
Might just like the feel of them.