Callaway Big Bertha 2007 irons Vs Callaway X-20 Tour irons

johnthomson

Visit site
Hello all. I'm new to the forum although not new to golf.

I am thinking of buying some new irons. My mind is set on a new set of Callaway irons but not sure which ones to go for.

Either the newest Big Bertha irons or the new X-20 Tour irons.

Do any of you guys use these clubs and if so which ones would you recommend.

I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks

John

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love Callaway, and play all sorts of their woods. I also have 2 wedges and an old BB 2 iron.
I wouldn't however play with any of these "game improvement" irons. It wouldn't be fair to go into this, because for many players, these type of clubs could improve their games no end.

What sort of player are you? Is the cost relevant to you?
If you want a set of high quality, forgiving irons, there are other places to look.

I hit less than 20% full irons on a round of golf, I'd rather invest in good woods, a wedge or two and some lessons.

Dave

johnthomson

Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. I am an average player who normally just plays for fun.

Next year I would like to join a club and start getting more involved in the game.

I do like all of the callaway clubs, and would buy some of the woods to go alongside the irons.

I just noticed about the new Hyper X driver thats due out next year so would wait for that or else get something similar.

Probably buy some fairway woods and the callaway wedges too.

Thanks for the reply

John

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
The BB's or X20's probably won't be ideal for you in my oppinion.

Why so set on having Callaways?

I use King Cobra FP's which I got custom fitted for £299. These are superb clubs, they are forgiving, long and give a really nice ball flight that is not dis-similar to that of a Callaway iron. I think that the FP's are of the finest quality, but at a really great price.

My pro reckons when you buy Callaway you pay over the odds because of the poseur factor. Personally I would never pay over the top just because something has the "fashionable" label on it.

That isn't a criticism of you, just my point of view. The same as I would buy a Mondeo over a 3-series any day of the week.

lewi73

Visit site
medwayjon, did you pay 299 for a full 3-sw or 5-sw? I'm looking to spend about 300 on a new set of irons this christmas. At 250 the Mizuno MX-19s look like a good shout, few others on the market like the Nike Ignite for around the same price but can never find anyone who has used them!

johnthomson

Visit site
My current irons are Wilson Prostaff OD Plus which I like but feel they are a little to small.

I just thought about Callaways as I have always liked the clubs and that if buying a new set, I could get them fitted.

There is a JJB World Of Golf up here in Glasgow where I live so I think I'll pop in there and have a look and try out some of the clubs and ask about fitting because they do it.

King Cobra is a club alongside Ping and Callaway which I have thought about getting as they have a good reputation with golfers like yourself.

I just want to get the right tools for the job, then I would feel better when I play and hopefully perfom better out on the course.

Thanks for the advice.

John

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a big fan of mizuno irons, mx20's and 21's are great game improvement sets and on you can often big up a bargain on golfbidder.co.uk

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Lewi,

I paid £299 for 5-SW with a free gap wedge.

In place of 3&4 irons I use Cobra Bafflers whuch I believe to be the finest utility clubs available today.

The mizuno's are a great iron and one of my pro's top sellers.

Nobody I know likes nike irons, I have heard that they are poor quality for their price-point.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
(just returned from the range)

I was worried that I'd get taken to task over my opinion on Callaway irons, but it would seem that I am not alone.

If I was looking (which I'm not, only played 14 full shots last round), I'd certainly look at Mizuno, Ping (if I'm feeling flush), Cobra, maybe the forged Callaways, Taylor Made, and possibly Wilson/Staff and Titleist.

I wouldn't go anywhere near Nike, but the Ignite are a superbly performing club. I wouldn't buy Nike in the same way as I wouldn't shop at Tesco or buy Petrol at BP. The companies with the mega-cash often overlook the customer.
I have to say, in fairness, that Callaway have replaced stuff for me twice (once I drove all the way to Chessington with a broken driver) and this type of customer care is why I still buy the products.

Maybe consider Benross?....I was checking out some tasty kit tonight in the range shop. VX combo OS could be the choice for me, 5-PW regular irons, 3/4 escape hybrids, lovely for most players.

Dave

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
The mizuno's are a great iron and one of my pro's top sellers.

Nobody I know likes nike irons, I have heard that they are poor quality for their price-point.

Agreed..100%

I have had three sets of Mizuno irons...all superb. Just not as good as my 1989 Tommy Armour 845's I've just gone back to.

Even the cheapest Mizuno clubs are really great, there are so many 35-40 yr olds who learned with Astrons or T Zoids.

Dave

ianmc

Club Champion
Visit site
I HAVE A SET OF CALLAWAY X-18 PRO SERIES IRONS AND THERE GREAT!IVE ALSO TRIED THE X-20'S ALSO FEEL GOOD BUT ARE STILL QUITE EXPENSIVE.WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR IN YOUR CLUBS FORGIVENESS OR FEEL? LAST YEARS X TOUR IRONS ARE A GOOD CHOICE IF FEEL IS MORE YOUR BAG