Calibrated club distances

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So today instead of playing, beacuse the greens are being verti drained, I went to the practice ground to find out how far I hit each club.

I used a Garmin running watch measuring in feet, a iphone app measuring in yards and walk pacing to work out my distances. I warmed up, hit 20 balls with each club then discounted the best and worst five shots, taking the average of the ten left over.

These are the results in yards.

6i - 156
7i - 148
8i - 138
9i - 118
PW - 104
SW- 69
LW - 58

Do the gaps look like they should?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
With those lofts, about 50...

20 yards between 8 and 9 irons too - might be worth a loft check to make sure they're evenly spaced.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
RGDave, would you expect further with a SW then?
I did look at the gap between 8 and 9 and I think moving down to the 9 I play a slightly different shot, not a full as with an 8 which is why I think I get such a big drop. They are standard lofts, with out checking 35 and 40 deg.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
RGDave, would you expect further with a SW then?

Yes. I had a series of 6 lessons and the last two were on full and various "lengths" with the short clubs.

I have a slow swing, my PW tops out about 110 (usually a little less), GW around 95 and SW 80 yards. That's with traditional lofts of 48/52/56.

I think you made a wise choice spending some time working things out, but given your 6/7/8/9 irons are within a few yards of mine, 69 yards is ringing alarm bells in my head. You sound like you are spot on medium for your distances (as am I) so I am wondering, yes.

Interestingly (or maybe not) I did the whole measuring thing two years ago and came up with

7i 147
9i 123
PW 106 (extra lofted @ C/F)
GW 94
SW 80

So I tend to work on the "fives" - use the club closest to 105, 125, 135, 145, 155, 165, 175.

Having said that, I was hitting a K15 7 iron in graphite (practise club with grip) about 160 at the range today, and my new wedges were all way up on normal....

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
yep, me too.

You're a good player Duncan. Doesn't it seem inconsistent with the rest of your distances? (Probably not :))

I'd be worried if I hit my PW 105-110 (which I do) but was 70 on a SW.....but maybe it's impossible to judge these things anymore with such low lofts on PWs. (Maybe with a 48 degree PW I'm actually hitting my wedges further than I give myself credit for)...