Club Advice - What Next?

Sekiro

Visit site
I recently took up golf and I’ve been building my bag over the last few weeks/months, so far I’ve got a set of irons, some woods and a putter (details below), I’m now looking to get the next instalment to continue my golf journey and feel that I’d probably benefit from a set of wedges. I don’t really want to spend a fortune on my first set of wedges as I’m hoping to use something forgiving to learn and eventually upgrade to something that offers more control once I’ve improved.

In the bag:-

3W - 15°
5W - 18°
4i - 20°
5i - 23°
6i - 26°
7i - 30°
8i - 35°
9i - 40°
PW - 45°

Looking at my current gaping what would make sense when it comes to adding wedges? Should I aim for 50° 56° 62°? What would make a good budget set for someone just starting out?

Or, do I look at the opposite end of the spectrum and decide to include a driver instead, leaving the wedges until I make my next club purchase? If I do go down the driver route, what would people recommend that’s forgiving and would make a good first driver for someone new to the game?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I recently took up golf and I’ve been building my bag over the last few weeks/months, so far I’ve got a set of irons, some woods and a putter (details below), I’m now looking to get the next instalment to continue my golf journey and feel that I’d probably benefit from a set of wedges. I don’t really want to spend a fortune on my first set of wedges as I’m hoping to use something forgiving to learn and eventually upgrade to something that offers more control once I’ve improved.

In the bag:-

3W - 15°
5W - 18°
4i - 20°
5i - 23°
6i - 26°
7i - 30°
8i - 35°
9i - 40°
PW - 45°

Looking at my current gaping what would make sense when it comes to adding wedges? Should I aim for 50° 56° 62°? What would make a good budget set for someone just starting out?

Or, do I look at the opposite end of the spectrum and decide to include a driver instead, leaving the wedges until I make my next club purchase? If I do go down the driver route, what would people recommend that’s forgiving and would make a good first driver for someone new to the game?

For me 50 56 wedge

And a nice ping or cobra driver something easy to hit

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I wouldn’t bother with a 60 degree or higher wedge if you’re just starting out. A good 54 or 56 degree wedge with the correct bounce for your swing and sand conditions, and then a 50 would seem to fill the gap nicely to your PW

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me I would go 52 not 50 that extra bit of loft makes it a more versatile wedge and definitely a 56 or thereabouts for bunker shots and round the green shots.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
would agree with the 50 and 56.

Consider the bounce of the 56. A bounce of 10 or 12 is going to be suited for bunker shots, but might be tougher to hit off turf - especially firm turf.

8 degrees of bounce may be a jack of all trades, especially if your course has reasonably low levels of sand in the bunkers (which is pretty common at a lot of members clubs who don't buy 100 tonnes of sand every year).

Think of your wedges as your scoring clubs so if you can work out a few distances with PW, 50 & 56... that could give you 3 good yardages to approach greens with. As you get better and more consistent you will learn to hit a 3/4 shot with these clubs, which might give you 5 or 6 good distances between maybe 115 and 50 yards.

Sekiro

Visit site
The Cleveland CBX cavity back wedges seem to get good reviews. Or, if you want blade-type, Vokey, Cleveland RTX or Callaway Mack Daddy are all good

I prefer the look of the blade type but feel that a cavity back (like the Cleveland you mentioned) might be the better route until my general ball striking improves. I have some lessons booked so might have one be specific to wedge play.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I prefer the look of the blade type but feel that a cavity back (like the Cleveland you mentioned) might be the better route until my general ball striking improves. I have some lessons booked so might have one be specific to wedge play.

The cbx 2 wedges I put in my bag last week are now 3 rounds old and I love the strike

Much easier than my vokeys

Sekiro

Visit site
The cbx 2 wedges I put in my bag last week are now 3 rounds old and I love the strike

Much easier than my vokeys

I actually like the look of the CBX, and they are available in 50°/11° & 56°/12° which would cover what I was looking for, will the bounce on these to too much though?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I actually like the look of the CBX, and they are available in 50°/11° & 56°/12° which would cover what I was looking for, will the bounce on these to too much though?

I didn't find them too much from the rough or fairways today or My previous rounds

I always thought bounce was more forgiving

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I keep toying with getting a 60 or 64 wedge .... But then I remember I'm hitting the 56 well so why add more issues
I have a 60 in the bag, but it's a cheap rubbish one and I only use it to hack out of bunkers. Off the grass they're more trouble than they're worth for me! If you need to chip over a bunker or something, 56 is plenty of loft. And if you're not going over something you need even less.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a 60 in the bag, but it's a cheap rubbish one and I only use it to hack out of bunkers. Off the grass they're more trouble than they're worth for me! If you need to chip over a bunker or something, 56 is plenty of loft. And if you're not going over something you need even less.

If nothing to go over 5 hybrid bump ?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve never felt forgiveness as something a wedge should be judged on since you don’t swing with full speed or length of swing. A wedge for me is more about how it looks to you, how heavy it is and feels and the bounce of the sole.