Caddies

Down_The_Middle

Head Pro
Visit site
If your mate is caddying for you are they allowed to give you advice on shot selection. club choice etc. Bit of a debate going amongst the ladies at my club. Its there club champs in 2 weeks and one of the ladies husbands is going to caddy for her and other. I belive he can give her advice as they are a team

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes. The caddie is even allowed to demonstrate a golf swing to you, provided they don't cause undue delay.

However, the Committee may ban the use of caddies in the competition rules. But if you are allowed one, you may seek and use their advice.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A friends mrs has qualified for a regional pairs comp recently. On the information they have received they are allowed caddies but the caddies arent allowed on the greens - possibly the most bizarre rule ive heard of for a while lol.

I guess the moral being check with whoever is organising with regards to who/what is allowed from a caddie (a lot of comps ban pros from caddying for example)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ladies have particularly peculiar 'rules/guidelines' about caddies.

As Rules of Golf state that a Caddie is allowed - and they can give advice etc., much of the conventions in Ladies Golf break these Rules! However, as it's considered unfair that some Ladies can afford a caddy while others can't, the Rule-breaking conventions continue. Daft imo!

I know several Pros who caddie btw!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
My caddie in the club championship had an overly sporting attitude, I felt; calling for my opponents ball to "settle" as it looked to be shooting past the hole..... :)

Great to have a caddie though - conditions were awful. We had a bit of chat about wind speed/direction a couple of times but not on club selection or line of putts.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
On the information they have received they are allowed caddies but the caddies arent allowed on the greens - possibly the most bizarre rule ive heard of for a while lol.

I think that Committee is over stepping its discretion. They can either allow caddies or not (or place certain restriction on who the caddy can be) but I don't think they can then restrain the player or his caddie from otherwise behaving in line with the rules of golf.

Many Committees wrongly think they can amend the Rules as they wish - they can't.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I think that Committee is over stepping its discretion. They can either allow caddies or not (or place certain restriction on who the caddy can be) but I don't think they can then restrain the player or his caddie from otherwise behaving in line with the rules of golf.

Many Committees wrongly think they can amend the Rules as they wish - they can't.

I believe there are some restrictions 'available' to Committees wrt Junior tournaments and parents. Otherwise, there should be no restriction - even if, as you've posted, Committees 'try it on'.