Buying From International Sellers on Ebay?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's a club I'm looking to buy, and the cheapest one right now is from a US seller. Even with the £30 postage added on it's still the cheapest. But is it worth going for? There is a warning saying there may be import duties and tax? Am I likely to get stung if I go for this? Anyone bought a club from an international seller and had problems or was it plain sailing? Maybe too much of a gamble?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I've bought camera equipment from Hong Kong sellers and had no problems.

I think it's just your luck and most lower value items for personal use are likely to slip under the radar.

Obviously if you are running a business and buying dozens of things a week to sell in the UK market, then likely that a few will get picked up and your profits will disappear.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The tax is applied by the shipping agent, so for instance, UPS, there is no way to not pay it, as they won't deliver it til it is paid.

You can ask for the customs form to say it is second hand, no tax due, but the shop may not do this, as it is illegal.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The tax is applied by the shipping agent, so for instance, UPS, there is no way to not pay it, as they won't deliver it til it is paid.

You can ask for the customs form to say it is second hand, no tax due, but the shop may not do this, as it is illegal.
Cheers for the info. So I won't have any idea what the tax would be until later? I'm not sure it's going to be worth the risk.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You can get charged 20% VAT and import duties of about 3% plus an admin charge from the courier of around £8. I haven't bought golf items from abroad but imported several snooker cues and normally always get charged. If it's reasonably expensive club I wouldn't risk it for saving £30, it could end up costing you more and you may also have issues if you have any problems under warranty.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can get charged 20% VAT and import duties of about 3% plus an admin charge from the courier of around £8. I haven't bought golf items from abroad but imported several snooker cues and normally always get charged. If it's reasonably expensive club I wouldn't risk it for saving £30, it could end up costing you more and you may also have issues if you have any problems under warranty.
Cheers. Yeah, this is all putting me off nicely. :LOL: I'll hold out for a decent UK one to come up.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What club is it?

I have one coming from Texas at the minute. Quite rare to find so happy to to a bit of import tax and 35 pound postage as the club was only 15dollars.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What club is it?

I have one coming from Texas at the minute. Quite rare to find so happy to to a bit of import tax and 35 pound postage as the club was only 15dollars.
It's only a Ping 4 wood mate. Slightly rarer than your 3 and 5 woods, but not super rare, I can just wait for a good UK deal to turn up.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Likely to be under the import duty threshold, but that is the smallest part, still likely to be charged VAT and admin fee even if it is second hand, unless the seller marks it as a gift and its under £39 value.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site

^^^^ this, I imported a heated coat, although it was still good value I paid around £60.00 import tax on it which was applied by Fed Ex

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is the ebay guide

If you buy goods online from outside the EU for delivery to the UK, you’ll have to pay Customs Duty (if over £120 value) and Import VAT (if over £18) on top of the purchase price (including duties), though Customs Duty is waived if the amount of the calculated duty payable is £7 or less. Please note there is also an £8 Parcel Force Fee for collecting the Import VAT.

VAT may also be payable on the delivery charge according to the government website.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is the ebay guide

If you buy goods online from outside the EU for delivery to the UK, you’ll have to pay Customs Duty (if over £120 value) and Import VAT (if over £18) on top of the purchase price (including duties), though Customs Duty is waived if the amount of the calculated duty payable is £7 or less. Please note there is also an £8 Parcel Force Fee for collecting the Import VAT.

VAT may also be payable on the delivery charge according to the government website.

Vat is payable on the shipping charge + goods value (accepted as price paid).
I don't think it's payable on any handling charge - but this may be a mute point as you pay what they charge you (and it becomes their issue as to whether they are accounting vat in there at their end!)

D

Deleted member 23344

I bought a few from the States ... you get charged import duty and I found that the carrier (UPS and Fedex) paid it initially and then asked for it back, plus a £12 or so admin fee for doing so. I would never do it again merely because the clubs are cheaper, as the add-ons negate that. Might still do it if I wanted a club that I couldn’t get over here; e.g to replace an older model, or to complete a set, if I couldn’t find it in the UK. The selection is far better in the US.