Bust

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
My golf club. Potters bar. Has closed ... I knew they were struggling but didn't realise it was quite so bad. I guess if you don't move with the times you'll struggle

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always sad to hear of a club closing, especially as jobs are likely to be lost. What do you think brought about this situation? I know the obvious answer is a lack of members but what led to this?

Wolf

Visit site
Always sad to hear that, is it going to be a complete closure or is there possibility of a buy out or administrators coming in. Or even worse is it likely to be the next housing project

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Always sad to hear that, is it going to be a complete closure or is there possibility of a buy out or administrators coming in. Or even worse is it likely to be the next housing project
No idea,only found out as a mate saw it on Twitter! Its prime land and only 20 mins from Kings cross.

D

Deleted member 17920

Another club gone to the wall, we have had 2 in Lincolnshire close in the last few weeks.

Let’s just hope more people take up the game and join a club rather than been nomad.

D

Deleted member 25172

My golf club. Potters bar. Has closed ... I knew they were struggling but didn't realise it was quite so bad. I guess if you don't move with the times you'll struggle

That’s a real shame. I’m ”down the road” at Mill Hill if you fancy a round.

Looked at playing Potters Bar several times but never got around to it.

D

Deleted member 17920

Sad times 2 clubs in one county going so close together in timescales.
Totally agree, by all accounts immingham has done well to last till now, someone told me the seniors section have been cutting the greens all summer.

Hats off to them if that’s the case.

I think some clubs need to take a good look at themselves to stay in business.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Cheers it's a nice course. A little quirky but always in decent nick. 30 years ago you couldn't get a game there . Times change but they didn't really.
Its not like there is a ton of competition nearby

Wolf

Visit site
Totally agree, by all accounts immingham has done well to last till now, someone told me the seniors section have been cutting the greens all summer.

Hats off to them if that’s the case.

Fair play to the old boys for doing that to keep it going, but sadly that was probably start of the demise as once they've got to that point it's beyond help.

Clubs do need to look at themselves more as a business than just a club nothing can survive without profits or on sentiment

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance here but what happens after a club closes ? Does the clubhouse just shut, does the course just overgrow, what about the machinery ? Do the greens staff get paid off ?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I know some get re opened under new owners . Brentwood for example otherwise I guess it will get sold off piece meal to settle up with creditors. Its a great bit of land that's for sure. If they got planning they could build some lovely posh houses . Just a short walk from the train station for access to the city

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's not just clubs that need to examine themselves, how about those members who up sticks because of a slight increase, or because another club is doing a special offer for 18 months, and you know the boot iwll be on the other foot after that time.

Its all our responsibilities if we want to keep these clubs going, their actions and our support.