Bunkers

hangukgenius

Club Champion
Visit site
So I have no problem getting out of fairway bunkers that have a lip 18 inches high or so and can easily make a lot of ground with anything down to a 7 iron. It pretty much goes like a regular shot.

However, once I get in a greenside bunker with some height to it, I really struggle.

Has anyone got any tips for getting more height on bunker shots around the green? I suspect half of it is mental, being so close to the hole.

I'm still taking a long backswing and trying to follow through with my hands ahead of the ball.

Help please, I dropped three shots yesterday by not getting out of three greenside bunkers first time!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Different people have different ways of getting out of greenside bunkers. I might be in the minority but I don't have the shaft leaning forward at impact.

I play it like a flop shot. Big smooth swing with a full follow through, open the face as much as I dare and cut across the ball concentrating only on slamming the back of the club into the sand a couple of inches before the ball.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Bunkers I see most are quite deep, whether green-sion ide or fairway. :angry:

Most common reason I see for folk not getting out of them is trying to 'help the ball out' either by leaning back or by flipping the club-head. What happens when that's done is the club hits the sand early or/and the ball directly.

What's needed is a downward action that digs slightly into the sand slightly behind the ball. The higher bounce of SW should prevent the club from digging excessively and the ball will 'pop' up and out.

I don't open the face a great deal, but adjust the amount depending on the length of shot required. It's been quite a while since I've failed to get out of a bunker, though my 'save' stats aren't great!

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Different people have different ways of getting out of greenside bunkers. I might be in the minority but I don't have the shaft leaning forward at impact.

I play it like a flop shot. Big smooth swing with a full follow through, open the face as much as I dare and cut across the ball concentrating only on slamming the back of the club into the sand a couple of inches before the ball.

This man speaks the truth. This is exactly how I play bunker shots and we have lots of greenside bunkers.
My only thing to add is make sure you keep the club head moving after the impact (I.E not quiting on it)

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
To low a follow through can also lose you height leaving the bunker

Take a reduced back swing and higher follow through

If your bunkers have wet compacted sand use a LW instead of SW