Bunkers

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Today I spent alot of time in the sand... Green side bunkers I am ok with I jus about pop it out over the lip and it rolls out nicely... Been practising on the bunker range a fair bit... My problem is fairway distance when I'm a good 100yds-200yrd out. Club selection and technique. I've tried to give it a flyer but can't seem to nail the technique so I've resorted to just knocking it out and going from there. Am I still looking to take plenty of sand first etc? Or am I looking for a pure ball contact if its sat up?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I play them the same as a fairway shot, ie. try to hit ball then sand. Just make sure you hit down on the ball.

I club the same as if I was on the fairway, the only difference is concentrating on not losing my height through the swing.

It might not be the right way (I don't know) but it works for me.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I try to catch the ball a little thin out of fairway bunkers. A bit like normal really!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You want to try and not get sand between the ball and clubface. Try not sinking your feet into the sand as this willl set you lower to the ball. With standard fairway bunkers think of hitting just a tad thin, looking at the top of the ball helps. Make sure you have enough loft to clear the face of the bunker.

With pot bunkers, just get it out.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always play a punch shot from fairway bunkers. I get a firm footing without digging my feet in, aim left of the target open the face slightly and punch it. It works most of the time and goes where I want it to. Maybe not a text book fairway bunker shot but it works for me. Also I try and not get too greedy, I like to make sure I have enough loft to clear the lip. Nothing worse than leaving it in there.....;)

Last edited:

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Im hopeless in bunkers, can easily rack up a double figure score for the hole if i land in one

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend to try and pick it clean making sure I take enough loft to clear the front lip. Not sure its the correct method but it tends to work for me. The key is not to dip into impact with the legs or the body which I find just makes for a heavy contact