Bunker play

Lollfred

Head Pro
Visit site
Hello gents .... I am really struggling to get height in my shots from greenside bunkers, any tips or thoughts on how i can improve ?

Cheers

Jonny

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Best guess... you have a ball position which is too far back in your stance. What looks like off the front foot when you're open is usually in the middle of your stance. Check that by squaring up to the ball then opening yourself up. The ball will feel like it's outside your lead foot.

There are also a few other things that might be a problem. Best bet is to see a pro or post a vid.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As Jonny said, ball forward in your stance (left heal for right handers).
Hold the club at the bottom of the grip.
Hit the sand 3-5 inches behind the ball and use a long swing.
Commit.

[video=youtube;c11XYrHSEII]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c11XYrHSEII[/video]

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know your view on this bob but I was told to reach a little for the ball? It works for me anyhow other than that what has been said above.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't know your view on this bob but I was told to reach a little for the ball?

Do you mean standing further away from the ball?
Depends what type of shot you are trying to play.
Generally, if you stand further away from the ball, your swing will be a bit flatter which will make the angle of attack a bit shallower. I would prefer to see a steeper angle of attack but if it works, do it.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I got told yonks ago told have the face of the club so flat you could stand a wine glass on it - is taht still the case Bob?
That should get some height on the ball...

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
when I played Beau Desert I took about 4 out of my 1st bunker (probably 2nd hole knowing that place)

RichardC had a chat with me about opening the stance, ball forward and open up the loft on the club and I was out in 1 nearly every time

doesnt work on my home course as the bunkers are crap but whenever theres a decent bit of sand it works a treat

also make sure you carry on the follow through and from personal experience I try to be relaxed with the grip as its easy to grip hard and be too tight

just hope I am making sense

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You can of course open your stance and open the face of your wedge, it just depends on which of the 5 wedges you are using. :p
I wouldn't open it too much on hard/wet sand. Too much bounce would get involved

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
see thats the thing Bob, as weekend warriors we dont really practice all different states of sand so a bunker shot is a bunker shot in general.

My place after rain is crusty as hell and a nightmare but as we rolld up once or twice a week how do you practice for that?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
With practice steve! get there early and spend 10 mins before each gane and you will be proficient soon enough if you practice the right ideas.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
well I play it more of a pitch and deloft the club as its harder to take any sand. hit and miss really

turn up early? I am usually fitting my old man electric trolley battery while my partners are off to the tee :p

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello gents .... I am really struggling to get height in my shots from greenside bunkers, any tips or thoughts on how i can improve ?

I've given up with "classic" bunker technique. I can't be doing with it any more; when it's good it's great, when it's off, it's totally rubbish.

I use the linear method advocated by Gary Smith. I use all 2 or 3 different wedges, stand completely square, don't fart around with cranking the face and "opening up", and sliding a dollar under the ball and all that Jazz.....I just stand wide (as he says), move the ball a little forward, keep my stance "low" through the swing and just hit the bloomin' thing. My bunker play has never been so good.

Try using this method, if you're not getting enough height, you're doing it wrong.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If someone is struggling with greenside bunkers then the above method is something worth trying. I like this method of aiming straight at the pin and with some practice you can alter the distance and height by the club used, position of the ball, amount of sand taken and swing speed.

I usually use a Lob Wedge, I keep my weight forward (On a flat lie, otherwise hit with the slope) and my hands shallow. The most important thing is to keep your hands moving through the shot to a fairly high finish. Slow them at impact and you are toast. Also, dont turn your hands over through the shot, keep the clubface pointing to the sky past impact.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Slightly changing the subject but still bunkers... when I really open the face up in a bunker I shank it 9 times out of 10.

Can anyone please suggest what I'm doing wrong as when I end up in a bunker with a lot of sand the club ends up digging too deep when I only open the face a little bit.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Slightly changing the subject but still bunkers... when I really open the face up in a bunker I shank it 9 times out of 10.

Can anyone please suggest what I'm doing wrong as when I end up in a bunker with a lot of sand the club ends up digging too deep when I only open the face a little bit.

You are hitting down too steep into the ball. Try shallowing out your hands at address.

Take a look at this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1xrvYXqCB4

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Hi Gary
It sounds as if you're opening the face but not aiming left enough. Try and have the club face pointing at the flag at address by aiming far enough left and make sure the ball is still forward in your stance. This will also help you to stop the club digging too far into the soft sand.