Bunker GUR - where to drop?

Paul_D

Visit site
If a complete bunker is GUR do you have take the drop:
on a line backwards from where the ball lay and the pin (i.e. you have to play over the bunker), or
is it acceptable to move to the side of the bunker to the nearest point of relief but no nearer the pin (i.e. you do not have to play over the bunker)?
or any other correction?
Thanks

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
on a line backwards from where the ball lay and the pin (i.e. you have to play over the bunker), or
is it acceptable to move to the side of the bunker to the nearest point of relief but no nearer the pin (i.e. you do not have to play over the bunker)?
or any other correction?
Thanks

Remember that by definition there is only one nearest point of relief. What you are describing suggests that you can choose the point of the bunker from which you measure your nearest point of relief. And if that was allowable then there are an infinite number places where you could find your nearest point of relief - and by definition that cannot happen. There is only one.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Taking relief is not compulsory so the ball may be played as it lies. But if taken, it must be outside the bunker

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
No. It may be that the ball is in very shallow water and the player feel he will get a better result playing it as it lies.

The model local rule now says 'the player may take free relief ...'
The old decision said 'must' and referred to completely flooded bunkers. The new LR simply requires that 'free relief under Rule 16.1c may not be sufficient to allow for fair play'

However, the committee may declare the whole bunker to be a No Play Zone.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the whole bunker is GUR surely its compulsory to adopt that and to drop outside the bunker, i.e. outside the GUR?

As with any area of GUR dropping out of it is only mandatory if there is a Local Rule declaring it a No Play Zone. (as per rulefan's comment).

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
or any other correction?
Thanks
We have the situation where bunkers can get full of deep water and it's not possible to find the ball. In this case the reference point is where the ball crossed the edge of the bunker.