Building your own indoor putting green

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We've all tried out those putting mats - they work fine once then you fold them up, put them away, and then they become too creased to use properly again.

So I went one stage further.

I bought one of those modular astroturf indoor mats from 118golf.com which builds out to 8' x 4'. This cost less than £40.

I then had a same size 16" piece of plywood delivered and glued the astroturf pieces to it.

So now I have a solid putting green which I can lean up against the wall in my conservatory when not in use, but quickly lie down and use anytime I want.

The turf runs at about 8.5 on a stimp so it's pretty quick and I can put a book under one side of the board to make a breaking putt if I want.

All I need to do now is learn how to putt as the best I've done so far is 60/100.

A

Alex1975

sounds cool, photo please. also how did you test the speed on it?

bayjon14

Assistant Pro
www.seapointgolflinks.ie
Paul,
did the same myself, and I also used a small 2x1 Timber down the side to allow the ball return in a controlled manner.
I also have it slightly raised to add a little bit of resistant.
I have found it gives you terrific confidence for the 4-6" putts and I really beat myself up now when I 3 putt.

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
sounds cool, photo please. also how did you test the speed on it?

I'll take some in the daylight but it's pretty damn good. All I have to do now is stop my 9-year old daughter using it and keeping the cat off it (although the latter did make a couple of nice 4-footers this morning). And I borrowed our greenkeeper's stimp meter and did an estimation as an 8.5 reading would go more than the length of the green!