Budget driver

ellissmith

Medal Winner
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a low cost driver - I only play golf a few times a year but want to spend £30-£40 on an easy to use driver. So far I am considering a Ram Serbera or an MD Blackhawk Ti within that price range and wondered anyone on the forum has used either club and if so what they think of it?

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Where are you based ?

I know that Direct Golf in Tunbridge Wells have got a few stupid offers on clubs at the moment. ( Selling off ex demo clubs, old stock etc )

Apparently it runs out on June 21st.

Of course, if you're in Scotland you won't get over excited about this news.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why not head down to your nearest pro shop? They're bound to have all sorts of stuff at that kind of price range. Normally, prepared to do a deal too.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a low cost driver - I only play golf a few times a year but want to spend £30-£40 on an easy to use driver.

Surely, if you want something that cheap, your best bet is a 2nd-hand model from 3-4 (or more?) years ago.

I've seen the Serbera and, well, it's not marvellous.

I don't know where you are but in the Midlands, Sports Direct are doing Benross drivers with pukka prolaunch or Aldila serrano shafts for £49.99.....so if you want new, that's a good bet.

ellissmith

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'd be interested to know what you think of the Trilogy, also does anyone have anything + or - to say about the Ben Sayers MX1?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I didn't get to try the trilogy....too busy practising for tomorrow. Sorry.
I have a Ben Sayers driver, a "benny" and it's a superb club. I tried a Ben Sayers M2 ages ago, pretty good, but the "flaw" in a lot of these cheap clubs is the shaft.

I ordered a club from a manufacturer in Canada (via Scottsdale golf) http://www.scottsdalegolf.co.uk/ and it had a good head but the shaft was tragic. Couldn't do anything with it at all. Someone at my club is currently using it (to some success, so I hear)...

We have a few members at ours who are completely un-fussed about their equipment. Some of them use £19.99 drivers and do OK but I'd always opt for something with a branded shaft if possible.

A lot depends on what you want and how good you are. If you never hit a good drive period, might as well not even carry a Driver. For your occasional use, you might be perfectly happy with a Ben Sayers without a branded shaft.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've found that the cheaper drivers (woods in general really) are ok providing that that you don't have a fast swing - by not fast I mean torpid.
The shafts usually have so much 'torque' that, for me, anything over 72 mph leaves the club head wide open and guarantees a slice.

ellissmith

Medal Winner
Visit site
The Trilogy feels good, having tried it in the shop but I've also seen a brand new Benross V5 driver with Adila NVS Shaft. The Trilogy info also says it has a "top quality" shaft. Does anyone know anything positive or negative about the Benross V5 - I believe it may be an older model

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
My driving range pro shop has sold Benross clubs for years. If you can get a V5 with an Aldila NVS, that's got to be a good bet. It might just be me being silly, but I'd always try to get a branded shaft if possible. Aldila are one of the best. The NVS (orange) is suitable for slower swing speeds. The NV (green) is less likely to be suitable unless you swing it good (fairly fast). 90% of the players on here will undoubtedly prefer the green, but I like the orange.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The Trilogy feels good, having tried it in the shop but I've also seen a brand new Benross V5 driver with Adila NVS Shaft. The Trilogy info also says it has a "top quality" shaft. Does anyone know anything positive or negative about the Benross V5 - I believe it may be an older model

The V5 has the Aldila shaft and Golf Pride grip.

The shaft is probably not quite stiff enough for anyone with a really high swing speed, but will suit most average swingsters.

I'm very pro Benross - I actually have the V5 four wood, which is a rather fine club, and I have the VT Xtreme driver and 20* hybrid, both with Graffaloy Prolaunch shafts.

I like Benross coz you get similar components to those used in the top name clubs, at a fraction of the price

When I tested my driver I got similar results to a Taylor Made, which would have cost me 3x the price, and better results than a Mizuno blah blah.

:rolleyes:

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
The shaft is probably not quite stiff enough for anyone with a really high swing speed, but will suit most average swingsters.

Spot on. The orange NVS is a splendid shaft, however if you give the ball a good bosh, at high speed, it'll probably be balloon city. :)

C

CannyFifer

Never used them but Forgan golf drivers and hybrids get a good review and are well priced and look good too, if that matters.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last year's Benross VeloCT driver with the Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum shaft was a pretty decent club and should be available on the cheap now.

ellissmith

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice.
I am a relative beginner and have seen one Benross driver (vt extreme) with a DVS shaft and the other (V5) with an NVS shaft. Which is better suited to a high handicap player?